Micra man's car bodywork and general update...

Status
Not open for further replies.

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Well as you may know my car went back into the bodyshop for its latest and hopefully final batch of bodywork. The work that Wayne has done was infact crap, and far from satisfactory, and as it turns out most of what has been done will need redoing again. The arches were not even fg on, and everything else was just really a mess. Hopefully I have now found a decent bodyshop, and although I know them, they have had much more experience and seem to know what they are doing.

They started trying to sand the old paint back but its on that thick that in the end they have had to take it back to bare metal and start again!!! I think in one part of the car they counted 19 layers of paint, including blues, reds and a few more colours!!! You could literally take the layers of paint in your hand and peel them away layer by layer. Not very happy about it at all for obvious reasons, but the lad at the shop seems to work very hard, and is prepared to do many late nights to get it done before Donny, which is what I like to see. :)

He has said it should be in primer by the end of the week ish, so it should still be done in time for Donny weekend. :D I will update this post to a certain point but after that all will be revealed at Donny hehe... so you will all have to wait and see the finished product. I went to see it tonight and they have begun the long process of taking back the thick paint which must have amounted to about 3-5mm thick!!! Here are some pics to show progress anyway, still lots to do but I am hoping that he can perform miracles with the car, so it will be done and finished finally. He should be able to get a nice finish on it doing it from bare metal also. Not impressed at the moment but excited to see the final finished result. :)

Attachments

• P3270188.JPG
    P3270188.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 328
  • P3270190.JPG
    P3270190.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 292
  • P3270192.JPG
    P3270192.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 288
  • P3270194.JPG
    P3270194.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 319
Omg sorry to see this dan. Im sure youll get what you have always wanted soon.

dont let it get you down dan, im sure it will be better than you expect when you get it back

jesus!!!!!

how thick is that paint! you will see performance gains when you get it back aswell as new paint :D

hope this all goes to plan and its done in time

i think thats a bit unfair of u dan to slate waynes work like that. Yeh maybe it wasnt up to a high standard of a bodyshop, but remember that wayne doesnt have the complete facilities that a bodyshop would have, and as you were a friend im supposing that a lot of the work was done very cheap and most of it favours. I believe wayne put in a lot of effort and time to your car, he doesnt deserve the slating that you gave him in my opinion.

Daz :Alien:

Would it not be easier to just start with another shell, or is that a silly idea?!

Unlucky mate, but glad to hear its being sorted.

Retepetsir said:
Would it not be easier to just start with another shell, or is that a silly idea?!

Unlucky mate, but glad to hear its being sorted.

Noooo, a new shell wouldn't have the mod's he's created!!!!!

At least it's getting done properly now, and you'll be looking at a faster car as there will be less weight!!! :D

K10Daz, Dan has done nothing more than state fact. I dont really thing he has done anything wrong.

well dan...

quite dissapointed to be truthful..

Ed - james or who ever may delete this profile (even though it is phils)

just to add a seperate side to the story..

if any thing is to be equal i believe both sides should be said.

----------------

first of all EVERY panel on that car was modified..

that job first came to me to fit arches, flip bonnet, headlight conversion, wingmirrors, pop doors and respray.

the list that finally left the garage as was..

bonnet flipped
headlight conversion
rear light conversion
de roofrailed
re did smooth boot
rear light conversion
full engine rebuild as it was only running on 3 pistons as the conpression on 3 piston was shot
engine bay sprayed
interior sprayed
re wired the whole car because there was so many earthing problems - from what u described yourself as "hazardous wiring"
petrol cap relocation
alloys sprayed
fully customised arches
BODY KIT CHANGED 3 TIMES - because you were unsure on styling
engine cleaned up and sprayed
engine tuned
exhaust refitted cos you didnt have a bracket on
fixed the skirts from were you yanked it off
Undersealed the whole car

not to mention how many times you changed your mind whilst i was doing half them stuff

now for that amount of work you paid me £1200 all in
of which i quoted you 1k u giving me the other 200 on your own ommision

the spray beign a pearl orange ( the pearl having pink, blue and purple pearl in it) and metallic black 2 tone

-------------------

right

i will be first to admit- i am not professional - everything i have learned i have learned myself - through progress. 3/4 of the time i was doing your car it was in a back alley - not the most desired place. but yet the place you knew WELL before bringing it to me were it was being done..

the colours over the arches was simply to get the arches perfect for you, and were colours i had spare so i wasnt wasting your customer made 3 pearl mixture orange..

You were there every step of the way simply because i could do ne thing without you wanting to change something after i had already done it.. or if your GF said she didnt like it..u then had to have it changed

I did 3 times the amount of work on that car than originally brought to me for. Not to mention the amount of times you changed your mind.

--------------------------

I know you will not be truly happy with any thing that happens to that car because you are not even sure in yourself what you want. Because you listen to others opinions more than what you want yourself, and what you are happy about.

put it through tis MOT aswell.

Have previously welded 16" worth of plate along the rusted through sill

--------------

But as i said at the begining i am not professional - i am just starting - i am just learning - yes i had to respray parts of that car because of reactions - nobody can stop this - you can take every measure to ensure it doesnt happen - working in a back alley as i was back then reactions happened (and i replaced the paint at my own expense not a single bit to yours).

I let you pay me in dribs and drabs whenever you had money rather than 2 stage half before half after or all at once because you said you could afford to do that...

------------------------------

Apologies to james and Kev etc for posting on these board when you would rather i didnt.. but i believe that everyone should have there say rather than a very one sided story - i have sat back and watched for long enough dan.

i have had my say.. please Dan if you have any thing to argue against eveything i have said please feel free to come to me - or msn...

Yours

Wayne
Quickdraw
Qddevelopments

Just to add this wont be allowed to turn into any kind of flame war. Its being sorted everyone has said their bit and ultimately things move on..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back