Micra man's car bodywork and general update 2...

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Well I am gunna make this again, but just to show how the car is getting on now. As some of you know it went back into the bodyshop last week to get finished off hopefully for once and for all. :) Looks like theres alot to do but they seem very confident they can get it done in time, and get it looking sweet from a bare metal respray. :D They had started taking the paint back the other day when I went down and it looked like the pics below.

I went up today and all of the paint is pretty much off the car apart from both the bumpers, leaving nice clean metal. Luckily the shell is in mint condition so should make it quite easy to respray. The majority of the filler has now also been removed so its basically a clean slate to start with again. :) Very impressed with the bodyshops attitude and the amount they have got done. They seem very confident that it will be done by Donny and have said it will be in showroom condition when its done hehe. :D They are hoping to have it in primer by towards the end of next week so should be looking sweet. :D Just can't wait for it to be done hehe. Below is some pics from the other day anyways, more work has now been done since then so its coming on nicely. :) I will keep you all updated. ;)

Attachments

• P3270188.JPG
    P3270188.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 469
  • P3270191.JPG
    P3270191.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 409
  • P3270189.JPG
    P3270189.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 391
  • P3270194.JPG
    P3270194.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 445
O

ohc_turbo

it would be easier and cheaper to start with a new shell rather than doing that imo, i bet thats costing a bomb

is he taking all the bodykit off aswell as you will still have all the old paint and stuff under there which could blow in the future

can i ask why a bare metal respray when you could have rectified portions of the car that were defective

good going though, will look good in the end

OP
OP
micra man

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Nothing could have been rectified without taking the paint back. It was easier to take the paint off... its all off now though. It wouldn't really have been easier with the new shell as this one had all of the mods on it already. :) Its not cheap yeah, thats for sure.

OP
OP
micra man

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Not when there is like loads of pages in one that people have to scroll through, and the other one got locked, hence the reason for opening a new one. :)

The car was lovely how it was in white. White is alot more classier then black and orange IMO. Seems as though alot of money has been wasted.

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
Hope the bodyshop can rescue the paintwork Dan, seems as there putting a lot of effort into getting it right.

Wayne put a lot of effort into the bodykit fitting and area's such as the tailgate, bonnet, arches etc means going to another shell would require all these modifications to be done again.

If Dan's sticking with his choosen colour for the respray it will look superb when finished and let's face it being off the road for 10+months you deserve to have your car back and be happy with it.

Keep us updated with the progress and fingers crossed you'll have it show ready for the 15th.

Kev :)

M

m1ck97

Swallow said:
The car was lovely how it was in white. White is alot more classier then black and orange IMO. Seems as though alot of money has been wasted.

white is a very nice colour imo, but personally speaking, if you dont wash it every day it looks crap. Collects dirt very quickly and just looks messy.

OP
OP
micra man

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
m1ck97 said:
white is a very nice colour imo, but personally speaking, if you dont wash it every day it looks crap. Collects dirt very quickly and just looks messy.

Agreed, looked nice when it was clean though. :) Also, Kev the arches bonnet and boot need redoing unfortunately. :( Should be good though.

Pete

Site Supporter
Kev said:
Wayne put a lot of effort into the bodykit fitting and area's such as the tailgate, bonnet, arches etc means going to another shell would require all these modifications to be done again.
Kev :)

Kev just wants Dan to stick with that shell so he can say "That used to be mine" :p

SC Pete

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
micra man said:
Agreed, looked nice when it was clean though. :) Also, Kev the arches bonnet and boot need redoing unfortunately. :( Should be good though.

Oh dear well that puts a different perspective on it then a little, I thought the fitting was good.

lol I bet the bodyshop didn't know what they where taking on before they started stripping it, lol in fact I'm quite relieved you didn't go to Steve.

Kev

OP
OP
micra man

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Lol, yeah to say that Steve would have had his work cut out is a bit of an understatement. The fitting looked good, however the arches were not fibreglassed on to the shell, there was about an inch of filler on in boot, hence explaining why the boot weighed a tonne, the bonnet was the same and the actual metal plate was totally dented and deformed. Where the door handles were either had no plate welded in at all, or it was deep down underneath the filler, and the roof runners just about fell off with the paint. Its now basically a bare shell with the mods, and they are going to start rebuilding it hopefully properly this time. In the words of the guy from the bodyshop, he knew paint could hide some faults, but he had no idea it could hide this much!!! :eek:

They still said that it will be all done properly and will be in primer by the end of next week which looks promising hehe. :)

OP
OP
micra man

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
I'm tempted mate, I really am, and have been for a while but I have no other choice really, apart from buying a new car which will just cost the same anyway for a decent one, plus after the amount of work, time and effort I have put into it, I can't really give up now.

K10

Ex. Club Member
We all get like that during a project from time to time mate- chin up :)

Looks like your having a proper job done there, should come out looking superb (Y)

Good luck with it :)

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
We cant loose another! Stuff like this happens, for some reason on monday the E-manage inthe ST started to play up. I now have to send it to greddy under their warrenty but it could take upto 3 months for its return = no st unless I buy another one, and then sell later - which is another £350 or so :(

OP
OP
micra man

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Lol its never been black and red!!! :p Not gunna give up on it yet though don't worry!!! I may have to push the car to Donny though if I can't afford petrol lol, but no seriously I could not give up on it just yet... it's come too far now. :)

So get yourselves to Donny to see the finished product!!! :D

OP
OP
micra man

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Lol, true. :)

Well the light is finally at the end of the tunnel!!! :D I can see it nearing completion now, as most of the interior is done, just a little bit of spraying left to do!!! :D The car is apparently coming along nicely too so it all seems good. :D Just finished the rear door cards and they should all work very nicely together, so can't wait until its done even more now hehe, got a feeling I will be very, very busy still though the week before Donny. :)

Dusk

Deactivated Account
What a mess, youve spend more than too much on that car.
Could have bought an MR2 and insured it for that price!

OP
OP
micra man

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Fordy said:
is it going to be the black and orange colours still?

You will have to wait and see. :p

Thanks for that useful comment Dusk. However, I couldn't have bought an insured and MR2 for what I have paid so far. End of the day it was either spend this to get the car finished or spend the money on a new car, and considering the car should now hopefully be immaculate when its done, this seemed the better option!!! Anyway, why the big focus on money from people... what I spend on the car has nothing to do with anyone else!!!

Dusk

Deactivated Account
Yeah sorry man, i was just saying - its alittle bit septic to spend big money(£1000+) on a car that isnt worth 20% of that.. but its your preference.. so upto you...

OP
OP
micra man

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
No worries. I do know what you mean and can understand what you are saying, I sometimes feel like just giving in but as I say it just seems the best choice to get it finished at the moment. However, this will be the last big amount of money I spend on it I think. I think its about time I started to think about my future a little more lol. :)

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
i would love to see your car in white again :love: would look great, cant wait to find out what colour/s you've chosen

OP
OP
micra man

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Well a few more pics after last nights visit to the bodyshop... :) Luckily the shell is immaculate, no rust or dents anywhere!!! :D

Pic 1 - Bonnet back to bare metal.
Pic 2 - Inside of bootlid where Waynes welding burnt through the original bootlid.
Pic 3 - Shows some of the filler left on the boot, there was more than this before. (No wonder it weighed so much)
Pic 4 - Same again.
Pic 5 - Extension on boot that was made, which you could bend with your hand easily.
Pic 6 - Boot extension where he welded the plate on the back of the boot.
Pic 7 - Bare metal. :D
Pic 8 - Non fibreglassed arch.
Pic 9 - Full pic. :)

Attachments

• P4020236.JPG
    P4020236.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 325
  • P4020242.JPG
    P4020242.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 337
  • P4020243.JPG
    P4020243.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 326
  • P4020245.JPG
    P4020245.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 332
  • P4020248.JPG
    P4020248.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 367
  • P4020249.JPG
    P4020249.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 280
  • P4020255.JPG
    P4020255.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 282
  • P4020257.JPG
    P4020257.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 351
  • P4020266.JPG
    P4020266.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 362
OP
OP
micra man

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Yep, still can't believe it will be in primer by the end of the week, but the bodyshop have convinced me that it will be anyways lol. This is not the bodyshops work I must state, they have just took the paint and filler off and tidied it up, none of the bodywork as such has been started yet.

On another note, Will from the bodyshop stated that he was quite impressed with Barwells work. :)

nismo_k12

Ex. Club Member
i've just looked at this thread for the first time...i didnt know you where having all these problems!! i just thought you where going in for a simple respray because you where bored with the colour...cant wait to see it at donny!!!!!!!

OP
OP
micra man

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Lol, yeah it hasn't been easy. I haven't been down for the past few days , may actually go down tonight and see how things are going, but they said they need it in primer at the latest by Tuesday so it can be done in time. They were on with the bodywork last time I went down so progress is definetly being made and they are getting everyone to work on it next week hehe. :D Should be done, but gunna be quite tight I think!!! :eek:

B

Ben

have to say Dan i didnt actually realise the state the car was in, where the lights have gone is an absloute disgrace! in my opinion u shud stear away from the orange/black, i wasnt keen on it but its not my car but its been done. You shoudl do a bright solid colour...
did the bodyshop look at u as if u were mad when u took it in? Which bodyshop is it anyway|?

OP
OP
micra man

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Speedle said:
looks really cool in bare metal, just imagine a chrome k10! how cool would that be :p

Lol, we said that actually hehe, would look very nice but unfortuantely don't have the time to get it polished and chromed hehe. :p

Big_ben said:
have to say Dan i didnt actually realise the state the car was in, where the lights have gone is an absloute disgrace! in my opinion u shud stear away from the orange/black, i wasnt keen on it but its not my car but its been done. You shoudl do a bright solid colour...
did the bodyshop look at u as if u were mad when u took it in? Which bodyshop is it anyway|?

Lol, yeah they saw the car before hand so knew what they had coming to them, but didn't quite expect to have to do the amount of work they have done to it I don't think hehe. Its a place called CATS (Custom Automotive Transformation services IIRC) near darlo. I think they have seen a few crazy things before and as I say I knew the people there through one of my ex's so they kinda knew about the car and had seen it about when it was white. :) I will let this much go though hehe... it won't be going orange and black again. ;)

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
if i were you dan id get the standard light back on it but thats my opinion ;) other than that and the bonnet i like everything on it :D

also can you imagine having to polish a chrome car lol would be a knightmare :p and illegal too it hink as it would glare the ####e out of people in the summer, but man would it be awesome :p

OP
OP
micra man

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Lol, yeah I wouldn't want or be able to take it anywhere if it was chromified hehe. :p Nah, standard lights are not going back in hehe. I really like the brava lights and the way that the bodyshop are doing it this time will make them look even better, so they are staying. The bonnet will also be the same pretty much, just stronger and lined up properly with the bumper, lights minus the bad boy etc. :)