Micra 1.2 handling prob

Micra 110

Site Supporter
Hi, When out and about in the car, i find the handling to be on the squidgy side. I don't have power steering (I wish) I get a vibration at 70-80mph. Whether it's the tyres i don't know as they're on the right pressure but could be that the tyre walls are too thin. The struts are not leaking so i'm beginning to think the springs may have had it. Also had the alignment done but never said anything about the wheels being nacked.

It's a k-reg Micra 1.2

Thanks in advance

Micra 110:D

This is typical with k10's mate. Dunno why it does it really but even the k11's did it too. Different wheels, lowering and a strut brace sorted this out spot on for me though. :) Steady as a rock now, at most speeds. :)

if the steering wheel is shaking at 70-80 i would get your wheels balanced and also check the tyres pressures... i need to do the same on mine cos mine is vibrating at 70-80 with my new wheels.... and didnt before on the other wheels :D

my steering rack needs changing and that makes the whole car vibrate at 80,

it could be a number of things mate, balljoints? suspension bushes? steering rack? tracking? wheel balancing?

it isn't supposed to be like it is so there is something wrong, get it checked out.

mark the steering rack shouldnt make the wheel vibrate, i drove with a total fooked rack and all it did was make steering a lot harder ;) its more than likely the wheel balancing ;) thats the top cause, then suspension bushes....

and tracking would do it unles both wheels were seriously misaligned which is very unlikely

Mmm, suspension bushes, i'll get them checked over with the wheels. I've replaced both steering arms so the balljoints are ok. Is there an anti-roll bar on the front? How easy is it to change it to power steering?:confused:

it is not the wheel balancing in my case, how do i know? because the wheels came off my old red super s which was smooth as fook.

the steering is really sloppy on my white one and howard said the rack is worn

hmmmmm?

it still could be balancing and its pretty cheep to have them done just so as to eliminate it completely.

It is also possible that your drive shaft(s) are slightly out of straight on one of the cars...very unlikely though.

Ive heared of having wheels balanced while they are on the shafts...but I havent actually seen any where that does this.

Ive ran out of ideas now

Opologies for going off topic but would the doors off your red super S fit our 1.2 L? We're after a drivers door.....

Cheers
Micra 110

Its not the wheel balancing because the wheels came off my red super s and that car drove faultless.

you can turn the steering wheel a quarter of the way round and the front wheels dont move, thats what i mean by sloppy,

and the car pulls to the one side also when driving. am gonna get it all sorted asap though, change the rack and maybe suspension bushes/balljoints if they are worn and get the tracking done.

k10's are not ment to do 70/80 mph there shopping cars for grannies lol
on the front kyb gas shocks with a spring kit (spax) and gaz/avo rear coilovers + a poly bush kit that stops it weaving...

Think your missing the point in what i'm saying.

A part of my car is worn out, that is what is causing the problem, it doesnt need lowering springs, polybush kit or new shocks, it needs replacement of a couple of standard parts to make it work properly again

Micra 110 said:
Mmm, suspension bushes, i'll get them checked over with the wheels. I've replaced both steering arms so the balljoints are ok. Is there an anti-roll bar on the front? How easy is it to change it to power steering?:confused:

just a thought as u said u have changed the steering arms did u get it tracked after as this could be the source of your problem

Mark said:
the car pulls to the one side also when driving. am gonna get it all sorted asap though, change the rack and maybe suspension bushes/balljoints if they are worn and get the tracking done.

I had that so i change the steering arms now it drives in a straight line.

paul_k10_Lx said:
just a thought as u said u have changed the steering arms did u get it tracked after as this could be the source of your problem

Yep, had it tracked. I'm going to take the car to the wheel centre and get them to track it again and also check wheel balance. Then i'll take a comparison with the 2 reports as i only had it done 6 weeks a go and cost £45. Front nearside Tyre is getting a bit bold on the inside as well, that was brand new.:down: Everything was tightened up to torque settings. I do have side play on the drive shafts (approx 2-3mm) will this make any difference?

Cheers
Micra 110

Hi, continuing the saga....Had an alignment done today and it's still out, way out! By 1 degree (£25 up in smoke). Had a look at the front nearside strut, mounts etc and noticed the (Re)bound bumper rubber is split. I've been quoted £170 for 2 struts fitted.Do they come with springs? (Never been down this road before.....:doh: ) I think this may be my only option as that's the only thing wrong with it.........apart from no power steering and some material hanging out me exhaust pipe...... :wasntme:

Also i did notice that the top of the nearside strut (14mm nut) wasn't in the centre like the offside strut, could that be the reason?

Cheers
micra 110

Off centre struts probably won't help much! Sounds pricey for replacements but I've only ever bought rears (14 quid a side! ) Has your car had a front end knock or something?

Overinflating your tyres does wonders for cornering, had my standard ones up to 40psi in the dry but they lose grip in the wet... Worth playing with though.

Herr_spl1ff said:
Off centre struts probably won't help much! Sounds pricey for replacements but I've only ever bought rears (14 quid a side! ) Has your car had a front end knock or something?

Have i got a surprise for you.....http://cgi.ebay.com/NISSAN-MICRA-PAIR-NEW-FRONT-SHOCK-ABSORBERS_W0QQitemZ4585703932QQcategoryZ10402QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem He does rears as well. Gonna get some. I need to know whether i can use the same springs on the new struts and what else is
needed to complete this task.

Cheers
Micra 110

YOUR WHEELS ARE OUT OF BALANCE.

go to a tyre place, and ask for your wheels to be banalnced.

failing that, your whee's are knackered. Or the hub face of your brake disks are warped, or your front wheel bearings are shot.

the most likely cause if wheels out of balance.

Back