Blog: K11 autograss build

So I decided my first season went pretty ****e with my mini in cork autograss club southern Ireland league.
Me and dad decided that for the 2014 season I should start fresh !
I decided I'd build my junior class 1 micra from scratch ! Easier said than done I realised !!
So after a lot of searching I finally found a car and started ripping it to peices !
It is a 1996 1L micra k11. As for this class everything in the engine and gearbox has to stay original like it came out of the factory. I had everything ripped out in about 3/4 weekends as I'm in boarding school all week. After 2 more weekends I got my cage done by pat o Driscoll iron works in Drimoleague co cork for a reasonable price.
Once the cage was done we had to bring the car up to cork to get my kill switch and wiring sorted which was a fairly big waste of time as the fella who did it had it done (even though he cut out half the loom) but claimed I'd need to buy an un-immobilised ecu and she would run. We gave the Car back to the welder for him to finish the doors and my seat brackets and mounted the seat. Car home and Ecu bought from the uk we plugged it in and still no spark In the engine. Seeing as we had bought another newer micra (1998 facelift model) my brother decided he'd ripe that out and swap the wiring looms. He plugged in the ecu and put petrol in the carb and bang ! She fired into life for about 10 seconds. That all done I decided she needed a lick of paint. I decided that the matt black and orange stripes on the mini looked wicked and thought that it would also look good on the micra. This time we did it with a spray gun and not out of stove paint cans from dads buisness. That done I then spent 2hrs hand painting the cage orange. Then I bolted in my 6 point omp harness. Dad then bought me tyres from Armagh and I got to painting the wheels. I then swapped my 2 shocks from my newer micra as they were still original but seemed harder. I then gave the car new spark plugs new oil a new cv joint and I'm still trying to find a filling hole for gearbox oil. I know that long flappy mudguards are for rally cars but I love them and threw some long ones on the micra. I welded on a snap on steering wheel boss and mounted my steering wheel and my window safety net. Then I masked out my orange stripes and got painting .... Again !...... That then done i put on my bonnet pins and ordered ck89 stickers, a walters motorsport sticker for the van and a big walters sticker for my metal visor. We reliased we needed a bosch fuel pump as it said in the rule book to have one and the other fuel pump was in the fuel tank. We mounted the smaller fuel tank under the bonnet pipped up the fuel pump but shes still not running yet. The seasons underway and I've missed my first race meeting because of fuel problems. I'm looking to race on the 27th but I dunno weather that's going to happen or not. I will update soon !

Hmmmm Thats a big bummer wasting your time having your wiring loom ripped up " hope you did not pay the " FELLA", but still not running !!!and the season is ticking away.Just curious did the newer 1998 ECU run without all the immobiliser gubbins? as Frank above asked?.If you are still in trouble a chapp Near me is wizzard with Micra s and wiring,could give you his details. best of luck.

how it going with the car?

I've missed loads of races now due to being lazy but I'm going to get stuck in now and get the cage done this week! then its loom time oh the joy!

Karma can be a" Bitch"and still no update on your wiring A little Google time on N.A.T.S.May help. or even ask !!! there some pretty clever posters on this Forum who have already posted on this very subject (there s a search function) , have a look. wiring up( a Hot Rod ) even some photos somewhere "Lord Lucan" may be the poster I think and he lives near by. You OP could even PM him. As always just trying to help, best of luck. Rose green
THIS IS WORTH A READ TOO http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/k11-immobiliser-problem.36858/

Last edited:
right so guys only just remembered i had this lol i got a 95 k11, ripped put the loom and gave my car and the loom to a wizard in cork and had it wired in 3 day. my car is now done !! thannk god !! i never paid the guy who previously tried to wire the car even though hes a scruteneer in irish autograss ! anyway my car is now running great but needs shocks id say :p any way i shall put up a picture of my car soon ! im going on a fun sprint on a tarmac track january 4th :D cant wait

Back