Malfunction light??

Hi

..My micra is displaying the malfunction light. Had it to a local garage and he says its the cam sensor. Now there doesn’t seem to be any noise from engine bay ( i replaced my stretched chain on my astra coupe last year). The engine idles smooth – but occasionally cuts out – car was serviced at a back street garage last year so i thought i’d check filter plugs etc on removing air filter i found its completely blocked (never seen anything like it i bet it hasn’t been changed for 3 to 4 years, if it hasn’t had filter changed then don’t think sparks would have been done)
If the car has been poorly serviced for several years is it possible that its pulling this cam sensor fault due to emissions being out and ecu is trying to correct this by adjusting the timing???
Sorry for long post
Thanks
Richy

hi richy

some of the k12,s have a streching chain issue too, and that affects the vari-valve cam sensor
i think you have to check to see if the tensioner is maxxed out

hi richy

some of the k12,s have a streching chain issue too, and that affects the vari-valve cam sensor
i think you have to check to see if the tensioner is maxxed out

Thanks for your quick reply - how would i check to see if the tensioner is maxed?? i think the one on my astra was at the rear of engine and was spring loaded?

Thanks again.

richy

k11 tensioners can be checked with the cam cover off, not sure about k12,s tho, but i think its only the inlet vari-valve bit thats different
there,s a fair bit of info on the ilexa forum btw

I have read that a poorly serviced K12 can have problems with the cam chain stretching which could cause you to have a cam sensor problem.

I recall someone saying if the cam tensioner piston is out more than 10mm then the cam chain is FUBAR, not too sure where it is on the K12, but as frank said, would presume it is under the cam chain cover, usually a flat piece of metal with several nuts/bolts on on the side of the engine.

hi please help...

... Removed airbox to replace filter and check plugs ( i disconnected battery both pos and neg for about 1hr - to see if i could reset mal function alarm).

Now the car wont start - the starter doesn’t even go - elec in car is ok full even tried jump leads.
One thing i did notice is trip computer switches off when key is turned to start but all other lights stay illuminated incl radio. The NATs light stays on (constant not flash) in both on position and start.

Is this a immobiliser/NATS issue with battery being disconnected at both terminals??

please help!!!

Are you sure you have not blown a fuse and that the gears are in neutral? If it is any more than that you will need a circuit diagram and some basic electrical knowledge.

Try disconnecting the battery for minute or so then reconect with doors shut and the keys outs, lock and unlock the car then try, if that not work email me back

Try disconnecting the battery for minute or so then reconect with doors shut and the keys outs, lock and unlock the car then try, if that not work email me back

Sorted the above starting issue by removing/refitting immob fuse - booked car in a local garage to replace timing chain and tensioner etc had car back today and guess what, 2 miles down the road and malfunction light is back on!! Not happy as i now have a £650 bill and its no better!!

To give a little more background after my last post a few months back. My local garage replaced to cam sensor with a 'spare' he had and the light didn't reappear for a good 3/4weeks and then he said it was deffo the chain hence booking the car back in for chain.

Is it possible its the connector on sensor or a bad connection/bad earth???

I'm most grateful for any input/advice!!!

Cheers
Richy

Back