lowering your car

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
I really wanna lower my car,probs 35mm...but i've been told if i lower my car,i wont be able to get my wheels tracked.Is this true?

nope i had my car tracked with the lowering springs. only thing is my wheels are at a slight angle at the front now, not upright, but i do believe this can be sorted with a panrod bar?

the only time you get a problem is if the car is so low you have little or no clearence between the tyres and the arches

if you lower this will mess with the camber settings, which can be adjusted.
tracking will be possible and i would advise getting it adjusted after.

canber could be set right by a half decent garage as they will put some shims in to re set it.

hope this helps

you can only adjust front toe on a k11

unless you fit camber bolts and a castor kit, then you will be able to track everything on the front wheels

wheels can be tracked when lowered....if you lower the tarcking wants doing anyway as it will get thrown out abit, rear axle will change possison slightly i.e one wheel will be about 1" or less away from the arch and the other will be further out from the arch (not really notcieable) it does this because its puttting strain on the panhard rod (as the std one is not strong engough) car will be fine tho mine doesnt have a uprated pahardrod (has been lowered 35mm on kyb springs) and has been like that for about 2 year! although uprated panhard rod is essiestial to anyone going lower than 40mm!

the camber will not be out that much!!! and if it is its not notice able!!!!! only if your on coilovers it will be mega noticeable! and remember its not about how low the car is its the spring rates that make the diffrance in handling! so get some stiff engough springs! :p;)

also i shall add (for people who dont know!) you dont need uprated shocks aswell...you can use the aftermarket springs with standard dampers/shocks! so no need to worry!

OK cool thanks,i'm a complete novice to all this so bare with me lol.I got quoted 95 quid for SPAX lowering kit,is that a good price?

35mm int much any way on a micra coz thay sit so high as standard so tracking shud b ok, It only affects the steering geometry if its real low, and if its to low to get on a MOT test ramp it can fail. 95£ is ok price for new springs, Aftermarket dampers are a gud idea wen geting springs, coz the old ones will probably be shot and you wont feel the full benefit.

rear axle will change possison slightly i.e one wheel will be about 1" or less away from the arch and the other will be further out from the arch (not really notcieable)
true.
it does this because its puttting strain on the panhard rod (as the std one is not strong engough)
false.
the axle moves to the right when lowered due to the rear suspension set up. it uses a lateral panhard rod which pivots from a fixed point on the chassis and a fixed point on the axle.
check out this link from cisco's site, this explains it a bit better, and it also mentions that lowering without an adjustable panhard will affect the handling of the car in a negative way.

http://www.micra.com.au/technical-articles/panhard-rod.php

Back