lowering...

Gemma85

banished to the buses
Well this is going to sound really dim but you should all no by now that I no absolutly nothing about cars and Im learning slowly but I just had my car lowered 35mm and he said I need new dampers fair enough I told him to get it sorted and change them but I havtn got a clue what they are and how much they cost Im guessing there something to do with shock abosrbing?

Thanks in advance :D

you won't need new shocks unless they are broken. a k11 can be lowered 35mm without any other suspension mods, though uprated shocks and an adjustable panhard rod are advised.

lowering the car will shorten their lives but not kill them instantly. so you will need new ones later on unless you get uprated ones like koni's or kyb's

so is he just lying to me to get more money out of me then the ####! he said they have split or something

he is not taking you for a ride if you have shocks older than about 5 years old. as by this time they are quite worn and new ones will be so much better. they should be a service item really and not just replace when broken.

mine were 6 years old when i lowered the car and it held up for a year and half of hard cornering with no probs. :)

if they are split you will need new ones, new items will always be better.

but yes this is something that should be checked regulary with service etc

they held up you say. but if you had put new ones on, your stopping distance under braking, overall handling, and bump control would be far better. seeing as all the springs are coming out in labour terms its coomon sence to put new dampers in aswell

yeah but my dampers were in good nick to begin with, granted had i had the funds or was doing it again i would have uprated them. but i only got them to lower it for looks not performace.

was a straight line car lol

tbh you've got me thinking now, they seemed a bit to good for the age now that i think of it, maybe they were replaced before i bought the car??

i had to replace the shocks on my old (1st) k11, they had been on a while.

on topic now: try searching as there has been many threads about lowering some will be of help to you :)

Hey Gem, as no-one has actually stated, the dampers are located on the inside of the wheels. Look under the back of the car (for the back ones) and you'll see at an angle somethin that looks like a hyraulic arm, these are the dampers!!!! My dad has told me he'll get some for my k10, just the back, at 15 quid each!!! So they shouldn't be too expensive!!!

KYB ones are half ga half oil filled so are much better, a had them ones. Theyre worth the money, the standard ones will split soner or later thats a fact but it up to you when u want to change em, i assume your not doing it urself so u might as well get it done while the sprngs are off then i assume you wont get charged double fitting bills like i did

Ems said:
Hey Gem, as no-one has actually stated, the dampers are located on the inside of the wheels. Look under the back of the car (for the back ones) and you'll see at an angle somethin that looks like a hyraulic arm, these are the dampers!!!! My dad has told me he'll get some for my k10, just the back, at 15 quid each!!! So they shouldn't be too expensive!!!

Back