lowering springs fitting question

caphj7

Buy & Sell Member
hi, i am going to buy some lowering springs for my k10 soon and i was wondering whether to do it myself or take it to a garage...? what has everybody else done? i think the springs will be about 75 quid for 4 spring, but im not sure how much a garage would charge in labour. im ok with gettin the shock off thats just a few bolts but is it easy to replace the standard springs with the lower springs and then fix it all back together ready to put back on the car. thanks adam

I done mine and really weren't too sure what I was doing on my K11.

I'd hazard a guess a garage would charge around £30-40 per spring.

Going by the K11 they are easy to do, rears is a case of loosening the shocks, jacking it up, putting some pressure on the rear drum and springs can easily be pulled out/put in.

It's not a hard job on the fronts but you will require some spring compressors.

if your not sure what your doing take it to a garage...dont take springs/shocks apart without the right tools ...ie spring compressers..very dangerus without this tool

Good point, if you try and take the spring out without compressors, the nut will fly off the end at high speed and could be very dangerous.

Good point, if you try and take the spring out without compressors, the nut will fly off the end at high speed and could be very dangerous.

years ago my father lost the end of a finger because he couldn't wait for a mate to bring a set of spring compressors and allso had too patch up a hole through the roof of his shed were the spring went through......

years ago my father lost the end of a finger because he couldn't wait for a mate to bring a set of spring compressors and allso had too patch up a hole through the roof of his shed were the spring went through......

Have we put you off doing this yet? lol

Serious though, if you take your time, follow a Haynes manual, ask us if you get stuck, there's no reason why you couldn't do this!

You dont need spring compressors. Loosen the necessary bits then jack the car up. The jacking process reduces the tension, you can just slide them out easy.

Thanks to speedle for that handy tip

where are you based caphj7 ? I'm sure that someone nearby would give you a hand if you ask, after all isn't that what the forum is all about ?

You dont need spring compressors. Loosen the necessary bits then jack the car up. The jacking process reduces the tension, you can just slide them out easy.

on the K11 yes but doesn't the K10 need compressors ?

Not if you follow the above tip and jack the car up. If you take the suspension off complete, then yeah you need to compress the fronts. I wasnt referring to anything K11 in my post, as this is the K10 section! :p

the rear suspension on a K10 is macpherson strut the same as the front though isn't it ? that's why I thought compressors would be needed. I never stripped a K10 shock so it's only guess work on my part. (the K11 was in reference to Paul and Ollies posts btw)

thats ok arnold that way when you are taking them off,but probly even more dangerus when putting them back cus youve got your fingers in there aligning it all up under load when your letting the jack down..

thats ok arnold that way when you are taking them off,but probly even more dangerus when putting them back cus youve got your fingers in there aligning it all up under load when your letting the jack down..

You lower it enough for the bolt to poke through the hole in the engine bay, then put the nut on loose. You can then put the wheel on as normal then lower the car to the ground. No danger of losing fingers etc then.

sod that! i'd end up at A&E!

when I do mine i'll do it the old fashioned way with compressors.

a note if using them, be careful- I've lowered and helped to lower quite a lot of cars over the years and on occasion I have seen them slip round the spring and nearly take the man's fingers off.

I take my time and count the turns, if someone interrupts and I lose where I'm up to then i carefully back them off and start again.

OK so i'm a dithering old mugger compared to most of you whipper snappers on here, and this method does indeed take much longer, but i havent coused myself injury yet (touch wood) :)

ive fitted both lowering spring to the k10 and the k11 without spring compressors, the biggest problem is removing the nuts on the top strut cup as they seize up easy! if all the bolt come off its a 1 hour job if the seize and need angle grinding off and replacing put the day aside :)

bob the lowered ones you can put weight on and get somone else to turn the nut a few threads ( depending on the rating of the spring)

Hi I´d like to know how big is the lowering spring coil spiral diameter(wire wich it is made of) original is 9 and 9.5mm. I hope you understand what I mean.
I need stifer springs to my k10 if thous lowering springs are thick inaf I would consider of buyng them. Now i have golfII rear springs (cut shorter) front and civic 88 rear springs at the back.
Hope you can help.

do it the safe way and use spring compressors, its just not worth risking it,

you only need spring compressors on the front shocks, if you crack off the nut in the middle of the top mount when its all on the car it will make it easier when the strut is off the car

Back