Lowering springs question

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
my apologies for possibly starting a same thread, but i searched and couldnt find anything.....sorry.

my question is, ive been thinking about lowering my car (like most of you do, and have done)but i would like to know:

"if i only change the springs and dont get uprated dampers, will the ride feel bumpy and un-smooth to drive???

i know i should probably upgrade the dampers cause the new springs cause the dampers to wear away quicker dont they???"

i just didnt want to change the springs if it compromises the smoothness of the ride. that probably sounds silly lol

thanks
napster

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Lower suspension always equals bumpier ride.

Its just the way the springs have to be made so that the car remains safe to drive.

You see those KYB springs on the micra.org.uk? Those springs with some KYB Excel G shock absorbers will provide you with a lower ride height and most likely with the smoothest ride you can have with a lowered micra.

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
Yom WROTE:

"Lower suspension always equals bumpier ride.<BR><BR>Its just the way the springs have to be made so that the car remains safe to drive.<BR><BR>You see those KYB springs on the micra.org.uk? Those springs with some KYB Excel G shock absorbers will provide you with a lower ride height and most likely with the smoothest ride you can have with a lowered micra.

cheers "yom"
where can i get the "KYB Excel G shock absorbers" from and will they be exspensive?
thanks

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
Yom WROTE:

"The KYB shock absorbers are probably the most common replacement shocks around.<BR><BR>Ask any of the UK micra guys. They'll help you out.

cheers mate. i thought you might have said something like that lol.

so the shocks are not standard, but will do the trick??
or
can i just lower it on the springs and pay the price if anything goes wrong?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
You can lower it on springs alone but you'll find the ride will be poor and deteriorate quite quickly.

Because of the nature of the suspension it is best to buy new shocks, springs and front suspension top hats at the same time. That saves you time and money on labour.

New suspension top hats arent always required. Sometimes your existing ones might be a bit old and worn and make a bit of noise with the lowered springs.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
or for a couple quid more you can get blistein which are a top brand.
ask motorsportworld.co.uk for a quote. or you could just get the streetline kit they do which comes with lowering springs.

Attachments

• 17528.jpg
    17528.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 32

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
30mm-35mm is livable with , buy yes a adjustable rod is really reccomended to straighten out that rear end. will help with overeall handling of the car.

CMF_DaveNE.UK

» CMF Member
also try matthew at humphries in oxford, very nice guy and really helpful. they will sell you a set of bilstein dampers with eibach springs for only £250 bargin but the ride will be bumpy, best ride quality with lowering springs will be the konis with whiteline springs, smoother than std on softest setting.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
i would disagree. even on standard setting koni are a very hard shock.
the blisteins mentioned available from motorsport world and from mat humphis are soft original equipment spec replacements, but are tough gas dampers. if he was selling the tarmac spec blisteins then he would be selling them tripple that price.

CMF_DaveNE.UK

» CMF Member
Polar WROTE:

"i would disagree. even on standard setting koni are a very hard shock.

the blisteins mentioned available from motorsport world and from mat humphis are soft original equipment spec replacements, but are tough gas dampers. if he was selling the tarmac spec blisteins then he would be selling them tripple that price.

lol he sells them also and they are £695 still a very good price.

"micra challenge Bilstein Suspension Kit with eibach springs" - £695

and im not sure which Konis you have but i have the konis internaly shortened by whiteline to suit the full whiteline setup and my car is very comfortable on the softest seting. it may be different on the standard konis but i would have thought not. must be some variation somewhere as mine are very smooth indeed at current setting. maybe they get firmer with age as mine are also fairly new.

id still say konis for comfort tho and just stiffen them up for aggressive

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
the springs are meant to be the same rate as whiteline. the lowering is a more though, but dont know if that would be different if rate is still same. yes the konis are normal konis and not shortened ones, maybe that is difference. are you running on low profile tyres?
the blistein as i said before are meant to be oe standard rate. so will be softer than koni. koni are quite hard i find. not that i'm complaining. i have the rears on 80% hard and fronts now on 0% due to handling suiting it.

Back