Low mileage K11

Morning all.

Im a bit gutted, Ive just spent hours servicing and fettling my daughters K11 (new back box, wipers, cv boots etc etc) and its failed it mot on a rusty cross member adn a couple of holes. Didnt see that coming at all I always thought it was a solid thing.

Anyway, Im sure I could get it patched up but Ive stumbled across another K11, same color with low mileage thats not been used for a while.

Im sorely tempted just to have it and forget the welding etc. Anyone got any thoughts on what to check on these if its not been used regularly?

thanks

Andrew

Rust is the killer for Micras... everywhere sills are normally first to go at the rear more than the front...
Front cross member is worth checking. Or get a welder to do it out of hours and see if you can get a deal :) plenty of people after cash in hand work...

Thanks

Are they galvanized? I just thought they would be. Ill make sure I give the new car a good look underneath, it appears to have been garaged and looks like a new car but Ill definitely look below.

If its not as I expect Ill get someone to look at the body work of her current car.

thanks
Andrew

I'm pretty sure they we but back when nissan were not on good terms with there bank manager if you get what I mean haha
Take a prodder and check it's all solid. :)

bodyshells were only dipped/electrolitic coated back in the 90,s i believe, galvanised panels were the reason for me leaving the panelbeating trade (while i still had some lungs left !)

Thanks

just got an insurance quote for the swap over.. same car, ok 2 years older, same colour, spec, engine etc.... they want more money :)

Unbelievable... anyone got any advice on young driver insurance? My daughters 19, I paid around £580 full comp with 2 years no claims.... with a change of car it goes up to £750

thanks

Andrew

It sounds like you have gone through the same process as we have. Bought a similar Micra, 2 years younger and insurance went up by £120. We needed the insurance to get the car home so paid it, and then phoned up to complain, and was offered £250 back if we cancelled the policy. Went on gocompare to price up another insurance quote and the cheapest was £250!

Yes my short and curlies have been got!

I bought the car today, drives like new. Sad to see the old one go as it was a family car and well looked after but needed a fair bit of welding. the new one is an older K11 so missing some bits but its really nice condition, 14000 miles from new, 1 little old chap owned it. Sadly the service book and receipts are missing at the moment as he recently passed away but fingers crossed they will follow at some point. Even with out the service book its still a great find!

thanks

Andrew

Had a good look over the car last night, really very pleased with it.

Needs a new set of belts (water pump and alternator), rear boot lid struts, rear 3rd brake light (cracked as boot lid has been slamming shut), new nissan floor mats and a spare key.

Are there any issues with the spare keys on the early K11s or can I just get a blank and have it cut?

Belts and struts I guess are no problem. 3rd brake light - Ill google it Im not sure if you can get these new now or not.

Ill post a couple of pics later its a plain Jane but really nice. My daughter loves it drives so much better than the last one.

Cheers

Andrew

Aha I have a key with a red chip. Ive been promised the stuff from the chaps estate so we shall see if it turns up.

Can I get a red chip key only from nissan?

Her last car was similar colour inspiration with orange bits. This one looks nicer inside as its a more plain

Timpsons can do Micra keys I believe. Varies from store to store. I remember being quoted £45 for a new NATS/red chip key on my facelift at my local key cut company.

Hi all

hope you're all well.

I got a call from my daughter at midnight last night to say she had been hit from behind by another driver. Her beautiful 15k miles from new micra now looks like this.

Shes absolutely gutted. Everyone walked away without injury so we are all relived. The driver was 17, just passed his test and obviously wasn't watching what he was doing. I saw her car at the scene and I thought it might be repairable but on reflection I doubt it. I cant imagine the insurance company paying out anywhere near what the cars really worth.

Dont get me wrong Im very relieved that shes ok and metal can be fixed or replaced. Just really sorry for her she loved her little micra :-(

Attachments

• P271GJO.JPG
    P271GJO.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Thanks,
Ive seen a couple of low milers on the internet I might have a look at over the weekend
I cant see the car today I have to wait till Monday. Would make a fab parts car.
Andrew

Morning

my daughters gone to see the car and retrieve the stereo, its def not going to be repaired

Ive started to look around for a low mileage replacement. If any one has a pristine low mileage k11 please let me know

Thanks
Andrew

morning I drew a blank on finding a low mileage K11 replacement. I did go to see 1 claimed to be in pristine condition, the bloke wanted 2k for it! but it had been resprayed badly both sides and was corroded underneath and filthy in side... some garages honestly.

Anyway I ended up going to the dark side and buying an 15000 mile polo its a 2004 but looks like it was just out of the factory. Main thing is my daughters pleased.

Ive a set of steel wheels and winter tyres for the K11 if anyone is interested. The steel wheels were taken off a new K11 (which had alloy wheels instead) and stored till I bought them last November. The winter tyres are premium and only done a few hundred miles between Nov and March when I swapped them for the summer tyres (also new grrrr).

Im in the Midlands happy for them to go to a new home for a token amount. Apols for now posting in the for sale section I dont seem to be able to do that for some reason. My email address is below if anyones interested.

[email protected]

Thanks

Andrew

Correct, they are known for self destructing on the internals. Also be wary of the drive shafts, they will smash the outer gearbox housing if they come loose, make sure they are tightened correctly.
VWs....over rated imo. The older ones were better.

Back