K11 1993 failed MOT but LOW mileage and still runs well... what to do?

Hi all -
I'm not a Micra enthusiast in general, but I have a 5-door L-Reg K11 (white) which I bought from my husband's grandpa and it's been a great little runaround for the last couple of years. Today it failed its MOT due to needing welding on the sills, and I don't really want to pay out this much to get it through the test. What can I do? I know I can scrap it but it has such low mileage (59,000 approx), that it seems a waste. How would I go about offering it to enthusiasts for parts? Ebay? Gumtree? Auto Trader.
I'm sorry to see it go but I'd rather put the welding money towards a newer car. Any ideas or advice greatly appreciated! Thought I'd ask the experts!
If anyone's interested, I do have photos.

Hi all -
I'm not a Micra enthusiast in general, but I have a 5-door L-Reg K11 (white) which I bought from my husband's grandpa and it's been a great little runaround for the last couple of years. Today it failed its MOT due to needing welding on the sills, and I don't really want to pay out this much to get it through the test. What can I do? I know I can scrap it but it has such low mileage (59,000 approx), that it seems a waste. How would I go about offering it to enthusiasts for parts? Ebay? Gumtree? Auto Trader.
I'm sorry to see it go but I'd rather put the welding money towards a newer car. Any ideas or advice greatly appreciated! Thought I'd ask the experts!
If anyone's interested, I do have photos.

I'm Gloucestershire but I can't have any more cars I've already got 2 k11 micras and a BMW.
Best bet is phone somewhere like harry bucklands.

1993 Prefacelift GT15 turbo cg10de(t) @ 7psi
2001 Facelift cg10de

If it runs well, has a low mileage & is a great run-around why not just get it welded & run it some more.:)
I doubt the cost of welding will be that high & a newer car is an unknown quantity & may not be better (newer cars are often junk in my opinion).
If you know the Micra is a good car otherwise why not just spend a few quid & keep it? That's what I did at the last MOT ;)

Last edited:
Unfortunately your car is not worth a lot of money, without an MOT she's a scrapper/breaker.
It is one of the originals, so has a bit of interest for some, is it just the sills that need welding (?)

If it is just the sills that need welding I'd see how big a job it is. Might be just a small plate at the back end needed.
If so it's a cheap fix & you'll probably get at least another 12 months out of it ;)
If you like the car, that's got to be cheaper than an unknown (& potentially problematic) new car.
Certainly don't see many L plate K11's these days so it would be good to keep it going if you can.

you know the car isn't worth a lot anyway, if the mot is almost up you could hit the sills fairly firmly with a ballpean hammer to get a good idea of how much repairs are actually needed, people tend to poke with kid gloves and find a small hole but the welder will be hitting it with authority to find the strong metal to weld to.. I reckon my '94 slx just got about 30 foot of welding, two new sills, front cross member and 3ft by 4ft of new metal for car repair in the last two weeks, but i reckon it was well worth the effort,,,, either that or i am just a little mad :)

you know the car isn't worth a lot anyway, if the mot is almost up you could hit the sills fairly firmly with a ballpean hammer to get a good idea of how much repairs are actually needed, people tend to poke with kid gloves and find a small hole but the welder will be hitting it with authority to find the strong metal to weld to.. I reckon my '94 slx just got about 30 foot of welding, two new sills, front cross member and 3ft by 4ft of new metal for car repair in the last two weeks, but i reckon it was well worth the effort,,,, either that or i am just a little mad :)
I'll go with MAD :confused:

Mad is good, it's the way forward ;):D

Back