Timing chain

I've been told today by a mechanic that my timing chain is on its way out. It's an X reg 1.0 and it's only done 36k. Only symptoms are the ones described in this thread:
http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=29878

Is this likely? Thought the problem would be the catalytic converter so he had a quick look under the car, then had a quick look under the bonnet. He asked me to start the engine and rev it gently, and then he gave me that conclusion.

What are the signs of the timing chain going? I only really have poor idle and an O2 sensor fault code.

Thanks.

Chances are if you are showing a fault code relating to the O2 sensor, that's probably the problem lol.

Timing chain wear symptoms, (and I would be very surprised if you have problems after only 36k), are audible rattling/chattering coming from the engine, (pulley side), especially so from cold startup.

I changed the O2 sensor yesterday and cleared the codes and it came back within 10 mins of driving. The car starts, idles and runs perfectly from a cold startup. It's just the poor idle when warm. As far as I can hear there isn't any rattling neither when cold or warm.

it could be the common MAF sensor problem in the throttle body. mine had these exact symptoms on my old 1.0l L and resoldering the contacts cured the problem.

when did it last have a good service? and if it has had 1 recently i personaly would take the throttle body off and give it a good clean out with some carb cleaner. check for vacume leaks. fuel filter might be chocked up.very very much dout its the chain, and yes you would be able to hear it rattle when you start it up. also get a new mechanic cos hes just after your money

It was last serviced 6 months ago. Do you think it would be worth fitting a new MAF sensor? Do you know if the MAF sensors can be replaced on a post 2000 without having to replace the whole throttlebody?

The mechanic is a friend of my dad so it's weird he would suggest something so unlikely. I did doubt when he was explaining it to me though. He wasn't after business because he was suggesting I try and sell the car on. Oh well.

Thanks for the help.

It was last serviced 6 months ago. Do you think it would be worth fitting a new MAF sensor? Do you know if the MAF sensors can be replaced on a post 2000 without having to replace the whole throttlebody?

The mechanic is a friend of my dad so it's weird he would suggest something so unlikely. I did doubt when he was explaining it to me though. He wasn't after business because he was suggesting I try and sell the car on. Oh well.

Thanks for the help.

ok i do apolgise for that. try the cheap and easy things first get some carb cleaner then take the throttle body off and give a good clean inside then put it back on see how it is then.are all the plug connections tight and clean.i am not to sure if the maff can be replaced or not but i dont think it can i may be wrong have been in the past

Back