Micra refuses to start but no sound

Hi guys and gals,
I have read a couple of posts about the above, but all suggest dead/faulty battery and that doesn't fit my symptoms.

A couple of months ago I drove the car to a garage to check the tyres. After putting air into them I turned the key to restart it - nothing. The ignition lights dimmed slightly, but no sound at all (no clicking, nothing). Battery was fine - lights, indicators etc etc all worked fine. I checked all fuses - fine. I called a recovery service. When they got there they asked what was the matter. I turned the key and guess what? Yup, started first time!

This car is used daily with no problems. then, last Wednesday afternoon, after driving it around town, I stopped for 5 minutes to pick someone up and the same thing happened! After looking around and periodically trying it, I tried bump statring it - and it started first time!

I strongly suspect the starting motor, but has anyone else had a similar experience, and if so, have they resolved it?

Thanks for your reply Frank, but there is no problems with the steering lock at all. This model is not "keyless".
It's all very strange to me - I don't mind changing ignition bits/starter motor, but I just want to change the correct bit :)
Oh, and it's the Mrs car, which kind of adds urgency in my book :blush:

Back