lighter flywheel!!!!

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
well, i've just weighed both the standard 1.0 and 1.3 flywheels. the 1.0 fly is 6.3kg and the 1.3 fly is 8.0kg giving a difference of 1.7kg.
i'm in the process of converting my 1.0 to 1.3, and since i've got a post 98 1.0, it uses the 1.3 180mm clutch anyway. so i'm going to stick the 1.0 fly back on.
my question is, will this make much difference performance wise? what does the jun fly weigh?
as in a previous thread, i'll find out the weight of the 1.0 crank pulley aswell. it all helps.
the 1.0 pulley is 0.825kg and the 1.3 pulley is 1.75kg.
that's 2.625kg's i'll be losing off my crank compared to a standard 1.3 micra. (those hills are going to kill me!!! lol).

Would you mind double checking those figures. My 1.3 pulley weights 1.8kgs and the 1.0 pulley I have as a replacement is only 0.8kgs.

The Jun flywheels are 4.3kgs.

If you're going with a lighter crank pulley as well, don't go with a JUN flywheel.

They are far too light for street use (to start with). Not to mention too thin and are prone to overheating in high slip situations - like traffic and driving around on ice.

That lighter flywheel and lighter crank pulley should make the 1.3L quite responsive. I doubt that weight youre removing will hurt your hill performance either. :)

Low Rider said:
Would you mind double checking those figures. My 1.3 pulley weights 1.8kgs and the 1.0 pulley I have as a replacement is only 0.8kgs.
i did double check the figures. the 1.3 pulley was from a '93 super s and the 1.0 pulley was from my '98 Si. they may be different depending on year.
what year was your pulleys from, i'm quite intreagued now!

1.3 is from a 94 Super S, 1.0 is unknown.

Could you take some comparative photos of the 1.0 and 1.3 flywheels? Side on, front and rear? I'd like to see the differences.

Send me a pm and i'll give you my e-mail address to send them to, as I'd like high res shots if you have a camera :)

Low Rider said:
1.3 is from a 94 Super S, 1.0 is unknown.

Could you take some comparative photos of the 1.0 and 1.3 flywheels? Side on, front and rear? I'd like to see the differences.

Send me a pm and i'll give you my e-mail address to send them to, as I'd like high res shots if you have a camera :)

will do. also i'll treble check the pulleys again, the scales were set on lbs not kgs. lol

That makes sense as 3.8lbs for a 1.3 pulley and 1.8lbs for a 1.0 pulley equates to my figures in kgs :)

1.0 pulley = 0.825kg
1.3 pulley = 1.75kg
i've now edited my original post, so it's correct aswell.

If you're going with a lighter crank pulley as well, don't go with a JUN flywheel.

They are far too light for street use (to start with). Not to mention too thin and are prone to overheating in high slip situations - like traffic and driving around on ice.

That lighter flywheel and lighter crank pulley should make the 1.3L quite responsive. I doubt that weight youre removing will hurt your hill performance either. :)

dont know why you say this dude mine was spot on!! and its been in kneivls car for wel over 2 years now i belive and dont think hes had a single problem.. i loved mine and carnt wait til i get another one

Yeh they work fine for most people. I think you'd have to be pushing some pretty serious HP to actually stress one. But still lightweight flywheels have been a popular modification for donkey's and its just common place knowledge that a thin chromoloy isnt always the best solution. From what i've experience, the JUn flywheel totally ruins any sort of hill climb ability the micra may have had!

mine was fine though dude felt alot more free to rev no problems with hills what so ever..

i would buy one again in an instant but i am getting a datrats one but save only fot the fact i want there bigger clutch aswell

so let get this right, if i upgrade to a datrats flywheel then i can fit a larger clutch? also from datrats?

you see my dear clutch is on its knees the increase in torque has mullered it so im looking at upgrades etc i can do in the near future hence interest.

Type-R said:
so let get this right, if i upgrade to a datrats flywheel then i can fit a larger clutch? also from datrats?

you see my dear clutch is on its knees the increase in torque has mullered it so im looking at upgrades etc i can do in the near future hence interest.

yes the datrats fly will let you bolt up the standard micra clutch (180mm iirc) or a bigger one (190mm i think).

you have to order the adapter plate for the bigger clutch

Dr Zoidberg said:
yes the datrats fly will let you bolt up the standard micra clutch (180mm iirc) or a bigger one (190mm i think).

you have to order the adapter plate for the bigger clutch

i think its 120mm clutch...

NeX said:
i think its 120mm clutch...

That is TINY.

Standard clutch on the australian micras (all 1.3L) is a 180mm unit. The standard clutch on the australian delivered, jap made GA16DE powered pulsars is a 190mm unit. Errol realised how similar they were and decided to make the flywheel so we could fit either a standard micra clutch or a bigger pulsar clutch. So yeh just a bit of a history lesson as to why its got the option of a 180 or 190mm clutch. :D

Standard micra flywheel will actually accept an Aus/Jap GA16DE clutch with one of the dowel pins modified, afaik.

Alienfish360 said:
the CG10 uses a 160mm clutch and the CG13 uses 180mm
pre-facelift CG10's use 160mm clutch and facelift use 180mm, same as CG13's

here are the pics of the flywheels, i onlt took side ish photos because it looked the same from the front. the 1.3 fly has a spacer for the bolt holes, but i seam to have misplaced it.

Attachments

• Photo0020.jpg
    Photo0020.jpg
    726.8 KB · Views: 226
  • Photo0021.jpg
    Photo0021.jpg
    699.3 KB · Views: 270
  • Photo0022.jpg
    Photo0022.jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 224
Back