cams, flywheel and manifold

euro_micra

Matt :)
I'm looking at improving the power in my 1.0, I've already got 1.3 cams a ga16 airbox with k&n filter and I've removed the rev limiter which is a nice little combination for unlocking some power in the 1 litres, but I need some more. I'd like to do a 1.3 conversion but most mechanically challenged thing I've done is change cams, so I'll play safe and stick with bolt-ons for now -which would be good as they'll still be useable when I get around to fitting a 1.3.

I've done a lot of reading on here and it seems like some reprofiled cams would give me the best bang for me buck, but with it being a daily driver I'd still like to keep some low to mid power too, which is where the mani should come in useful. Teamed up with a lightweight f/w it should create a nice little high/quick-revving little package.

But I need advice on where I should go for parts. What weight f/w is best for fast road use? What cams would suit me and the car, and what information I need to know to get them reprofiled? I'm also thinking of just reprofiling the inlet cam -keeps cost down, and the 1.3 exhaust cam on the 1.0 should already be adequate enough?

And Frank, and others, if you want to make any parts: mani, lightweight flywheel, and make some money, I'd be more than happy to have yours installed in my car.

So quite a few things being asked but I just want to make the most of what I've got :grinning:
5332448987_34a8ef90b3.jpg

martinb

Ex. Club Member
I had a lightened 1.0 flywheel on mine, it weighed 4kg, what a difference!! So much more responsive and was like a motorbike!!

Too light and it's a pain to drive from what I've read

That was a stock one ground down to 4kg, any lighter it has to be drilled, I'll be getting my 1.3 one done too for my turbo setup as I was so impressed with the last one :) good luck

Instead of changing engines just get the 1.3 rods fitted to change it to a high compression 1.3 with 1.0 pistons like frank

Good luck mate (Y)

solarice

Ex. Club Member
3.2kg flywheel on mine and it drives a treat, though did and sometimes still does take some getting used to...I certainly wouldn't try and go any lighter, as i think i'd start getting silly for daily use.

frank

Club Member
yes deffo on the flywheel (Y) but you would need to raise the compression really to get the full benefit from a wilder inlet cam

and remember that an less you keep the 1.0 Gbox when you do the engine transplant you wont be able to use the same flywheel. but i think that an less you are looking for big big power its the best idea to keep the 1.0 Gbox and just bolt up a 1.3 lump.
putting in the 1.3 lump would be my first job if i were you, big gains for actually not a very difficult job (even if you dont have a lot of experience.

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Thanks for the reply guys, lightened flywheel seems popular, mayes' seems like it would be too light for daily driving and iirc quite pricey too, i'm all about diy and bargins:wasntme:

Yes Frank, I forgot to mention a headskim, 1.5mm to 2mm looks the norm but would depend on the cams right? and what is it you do to correct the shims after a reprofile without spending £££s?

Noddie, Yeah I would keep the 1.0 gearbox so thats no problem. Would love to attempt an engine swap myself, but don't think I could do that on my own just yet, it doesn't actually look too difficult, but would be big job for me. I was thinking of doing it sometime after these mods. Don't want to rush into anything and fail.

frank

Club Member
Yes Frank, I forgot to mention a headskim, 1.5mm to 2mm looks the norm but would depend on the cams right? and what is it you do to correct the shims after a reprofile without spending £££s?

yes mate i shaved about 1mm off some spare shims to correct the valve clearance on the piper cams, and autosprint grind 2.5mm off, so that you can run with 2 stock shims (1 above and 1 below the buckets)
so a 2mm skim and a better inlet cam will give good gains, then transfer that head etc to a 1.3 block and 4kg f/w at a later date eh :cool:

OP
OP
euro_micra

euro_micra

Nice, thanks frank, will contact them for prices, hope it's not much now I've gotton all excited :laugh:

So what cam profiles are people using? or could recommend for daily driving? It would be the 1.3 cam that would be getting a regrind, so there should be more potential for bigger gains. Is it high lift and short duration for a more equalized bhp gain over the rev range, or have I read wrong?

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
Think frank said somewhere that autosprint leave the peak of the cam lobes pointy or something so they still give a bit of lowdown torque but also the mid/high boost of power?

frank

Club Member
Think frank said somewhere that autosprint leave the peak of the cam lobes pointy or something so they still give a bit of lowdown torque but also the mid/high boost of power?

yes the autosprint ones seem to have more grunt, but they have aggressive ramps and are prone to valvebounce @ 7.5k (so not ideal for 1.0,s tbh) my pipers are a bit softer on the valvetrain, and revved to nearly 9k no probs