K11 cutting out.

Hi.
Just got the wife a very nice -99 K11, with only 100000 km's on it.
To be sure that it will start and run flawless through the Winter, i changed the plugs, distributer cap cables and of course oil and filter.
Result: the car runs pretty bad. Tried with the ld components, same result.
It cuts out for every 30 seonds. Every time the check engine flashes. Sometimes it stalls, but starts fine afterwards,
What couldI probabely have touched to inflict this.
I removed the battery and the fuse box behind the radiator in the process.

Jakob

Update:
As was driving to the garage tonight it lost one cylinder and stalled. I managed to restart it and it humped to the garage. The catatysator was glowing red and smoking.
I checked the plugs and they were all Black. I have read that the timing needs to e set after a distributer cap change, which actuallly makes no sense. Of course I did not have the right Tool (what is the English Word for it, i am Danish), but did a correction by listening to the engine. It helped somehow and it only made a few cut outs when I was diving back.
When it just stands and idles, it revs up and Down as it suddenly gets a boost of petrol. I have also read about throttle body problems and is considering to resolder it, but cannot see how changing plugs etc can affect this. The diagnose thing does not fit my obd reader by the way,

/Jakob

The up and down on idle certainly sounds like a throttle body problem, I had that as well with the cutting out. I changed my throttle body, all fixed now. Got one for £40 on e-bay.

check ur O2 sensors working fast enough cos a slow faulty sensor could make it run too rich out of spec, wasting fuel, hard cold starts and the excess fuel burning in the catalyst would overheat n damage it causing further issues.

I have read about the TB problems. But I can not understand why the problem suddenly should occur because I changed the distributor cap etc. Logically it must reay to something i had my hands on as it did drive ok before. (should never had touched it :) ).
How do I check the O2 sensors?

/Jakob

I'd start with checking all the things I'd touched. Firstly, all the plug leads in the right order? All electrical connection back on properly,etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried putting the old distributor cap back on.
I changed mine a few months back and it must have been faulty as the car ran just as you described.

the injector fuse near the battery is notorious on pre facelifts jakob (corrosion underneath) and if the light comes on while driving its usually a sensor issue

@wehey Yes I did, no change.
@frank I will check that also. I'm not able to Work on it before saturday, when I will check the above, set the timing and re-solder the TB. Hopefully this will solve all my problems as the wife has confiscated my car until it runs fine Again :-(

Update: Spent all day working on the car, set the timing, which was some off, did a re-solder of the TB. Cleaned all connections etc. The car runs just a tad better now.
I'm giving up and scrapping it next week.
Thank you very much for all the advice, great forum.

/Jakob

Last edited:
Back