K11 1.0 Cutting Out

R

Red K11

Hi all,

I discovered this forum tonight after searching for a problem my mum's car seems to be experiencing.

She has a 5 Door K11 1.0 16v. Apart from a slightly noisey timing chain - which has been that way the last 2 years! the engine has always been fine. But recently, especially in very hot weather, the car has been cutting out while driving, either jerking or at idle, cutting out. Most instances it will start up again, and sometimes holding the throttle down full whilst it's cutting forces it to stay running.

It feels like it's a fuel related problem and almost as if the engine is being starved of fuel somehow. I put it down to perhaps dirt or debris in the fuel line somewhere, and i filled it with some fuel cleaner and a tank of Optimax, and it seemed to cure it for a week.

Then when it started again i changed the Fuel filter and took it on a 30 minute drive through the city centre, and it seemed fine again. However my younger brother also drives it, and he tells me it's started happening again, and although i took it out today for a quick test, it seemed fine.

It's one of those stupid problems that's hard to isolate until the car actually suffers the problem. I can't smell any fuel. Reading around i've been thinking it might be the fuel pump or something related to it. I'm not a mechanic, but i'm not afraid to have a go either.

Can someone suggest where to start checking?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

it is the very common problem of the throttle body, if you type that in the search part of the site you should find lots of information :)

I've done the throttle body fix - and it has improved the hesitation the car had - but not completely cured it. Basically the fix involved re-soldering possible dry joints in the throttle body circuit board. It's fiddly to do and you have to be careful. If you can solder (properly) and are confident about removing the throttle body (at least removing it from its 4 fixings), it's not that tough. The details should show up in your web search - there's a pdf file at the end of it. I have it here somewhere if you need it...

Thanks for the info guys.

MMikra, if you check your private messages, i've sent you my email. If you could send me the pdf Fix file that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

MMikra,

Sorry mate, please disregard that last post as i've just found the guide in a separate post. Sounds like a very common problem!

Cheers

Just to update you guys i did this fix yesterday and so far (touch wood) it's been perfect. It seems so much more responsive too, like it's found a new life almost!

It was easy to do too, i only removed the Airflow parts and ripped the silicone off the MASS and hey presto i had access.

Thanks everyone.

Back