Just finished engine swap in Micra K11 but...

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum so first I'll introduce myself!

I've got an old K reg Nissan Micra 1.0, which has been in the family for about 10 years. Recently the timing chain tensioner went causing a lot of valve damage and I decided to replace the engine and get it back on the road to give to my girlfriend as she needs a nice cheap car.

So far replaced the engine, clutch, lower cross member, brake pads, all service parts and oil. All looked perfect...

Engine primes, starter engages and spins... smells fuely... all good... But no spark!

Checked all the ground connections and they all seem fine. But for some reason there seems to be a problem with the ignition circuit / cam position sensor circuit. All the fuses are fine and I've tried replacing the coil pack / distributor with one which I know works fine because it's from the old running engine. I'm not the best when it comes to schematics and electronics, but I'm wondering if I might be missing a ground connection to the coil pack? Does anyone have any ideas at all because I'm totally stuck...

Could I have missed a ground connection somewhere or reconnected the loom incorrectly?

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks guys...

Mike

Oh yeah and another thing that occurred to me...

The Micra seems to have an immobiliser... the Nissan Anti Theft System (NATS). Could the immobilser somehow have failed causing the ignition circuit to stop working properly?

I'm not sure how this could have happened but I seem to remember that the immobiliser works by shutting down the ignition system.

That wouln't stop it from sparking though would it? I've got the delivery pipe going into the fuel rail and the return coming from the regulator. Is that right?

Mike

K reg should be pre-nats really mike, and the nats cuts the injector signals so it should still spark fwn, have you checked for a live to the dizzy ?

sorry i missed the no spark bit lol and sounds like you got them the right way round. normally no spark is distributor related

K reg should be pre-nats really mike, and the nats cuts the injector signals so it should still spark fwn, have you checked for a live to the dizzy ?

If the key has a small red square on it does that mean it has an immobiliser? There seems to be no earth connection to the dizzy. That's what I'm guessing at least. However, when I tried to create my own earth connection between the green / white wire going to the dizzy plug and the negative battery terminal, I just got a lot of sparks! I thought the green / white wire was supposed to be the earth connection so not sure how that happened...

Mike

White/Green (larger of the two wires going to the coil) is live iirc.
red square on key is nats2 i thought? thats what my key looks like and i have nats 2 ('97)
The larger plug on the dizzy (5 wires) there are two ground wires (both black)

Just out of curiosity did you use the engine loom from the K reg car or have you used the engine loom from the doner car, if you have used the later then it wont be compatible with your set up if it came from a nats embeded car, refit the original engine loom and all should be well.(Y)

I've used the loom from the original car. Only thing I've used from the donor car is engine and inlet mani. I originally also has the dizzy / coil pack from the donor car but I've replaced that to see if it makes a difference and it still doesnt work. The dizzy from the original car is known to work as well...

Any more ideas would be great... Thanks a lot for all your input guys.

Mike

I know this is probably too late.

As i said in title looking at the date on this thread, but if you have a red square on your key then it strikes me that you have also used the ignition switch from the donor car as K reg did not have Nats, if you are trying to use that ignition switch with the old K reg loom and ECU i'm not sure that will work Imo, But as has already been said you ned to start buzzing wires to find out where the live supply stops, would be interested to know what the outcome of this problem was/is.

As i said in title looking at the date on this thread, but if you have a red square on your key then it strikes me that you have also used the ignition switch from the donor car as K reg did not have Nats, if you are trying to use that ignition switch with the old K reg loom and ECU i'm not sure that will work Imo, But as has already been said you ned to start buzzing wires to find out where the live supply stops, would be interested to know what the outcome of this problem was/is.

Wow holy thread bump batman

Back