Engine Swap

Engine Swap - We have a problem

Hi Guys,

I am potentially lifting a Micra 998cc with a blown engine. I was hoping to get a 1.3 engine and fire it in there.

Are there any major differences between these two engines?

I'm interested to know:

1. Can I rip out the 1.0 and just plonk the 1.3 in there?
2. Is there any guides or project threads on similar work?
3. Whether the 1.0 drivetrain/gearbox/shafts is OK to use.
4. Will the ECU need to be changed? If so how does this affect NATS?

A micra S was my first car about 12 years ago, since then I've loved them and I always wanted to get a 1.0 and drop a 1.3 into it, just for ####s and giggles really. I'm handy enough with a spanner but never attempted a full engine change before, thats why I'm not looking at dropping anything bigger in there (just yet).

All advice greatly appreciated. I promise I will update you all with progress once I begin :eek:

hi coog (Y)
the pre98 1.0 uses a (k10 derived) different g/box/shaft etc setup, but the 1.3 engine (minus flywheel and clutch) will fit ok, (a search on "pre98" will bring a few threads up)
and the nats is unaffected, tho the 1.0 ecu has more ignition advance apparently :)

Cool, thanks. The car in question is a '95.

Great site by the way, lots of useful info. I guess first port of call is a Haynes manual, couple of hours infront of the fire and a cup of tea or three to see what I'm letting myself in for!

i would also fit the 1.3 box, shafts and hubs as the pre 98 1.0 box apprently struggles to cope with the amount of torque from the 1.3 engine...

the 98 onwards 1.0 uses the same shafts as the 1.3...you could fit a 98 1.0 box as i have. it makes a noticeable differance.

Hmm... does the 1.0 box just give up after a while then?

Thats a bit of a shame :(

I guess if it's worth doing, its worth doing right...

rit e ive just done this put the complete 1.3 in to mine and you dnt have to change the ecu but i had to change the shafts and gear linkage but my car is a 1996 and the engine was out of a 96 hope i can help any questions give me a shout

Ah but you've changed the gearbox then, eh?

Great blog by the way frank.

Is it reasonable to assume that I could lift the engine myself? Would make life a hell of a lot easier.

I like your method of lifting up and over the cross member even if it means whipping the bumper, etc off. I think it would work much easier for me (one man operation mostly).

nah 1.3 gear box ahh well i was allrite for me had the car in the air and had to replace the x meber so i just put the jack under the engine dropped the jack down then ma and me dad liffted engine out of the way

Is it reasonable to assume that I could lift the engine myself?

you dont really need to lift it coog, lift it with the jack and shuffle it onto the x member, then reposition the jack.
and the bumper is a mission to remove the 1st time (mine,s got a minimum of bolts now :wasntme:)

ask stani1029 on this site he can basicly talk you throw it looked easy when i watched him he lifted the 1.3 out by himself with the front bumper on lol

Either the engines very light or stani is a monster of a man :p

Sounds good.

Sorry for all the questions (you have all been great so far).

If say I wanted to use a 1.3 but use the 1.0 gearbox to save a few quid, am I right in thinking that I just pull the clutch and flywheel from the 1.0 and stick it on the 1.3?

If so then this will be my plan of attack I think...

(first full engine swap) :suspect:

yes coog, if its the smaller pre98 g/box you need the smaller 160mm clutch/flywheel to suit :)
(and the post 98 1.0,s, all 1.3,s and 1.4,s use the 180mm clutch)

Either the engines very light or stani is a monster of a man :p

Sounds good.

Sorry for all the questions (you have all been great so far).

If say I wanted to use a 1.3 but use the 1.0 gearbox to save a few quid, am I right in thinking that I just pull the clutch and flywheel from the 1.0 and stick it on the 1.3?

If so then this will be my plan of attack I think...

(first full engine swap) :suspect:

nah im a small person really :wasntme: engines weigh nothing! and about the engine swap its a piece of ####, my first 1.0-1.3 conversion i got done at a garage and it took them 3 weeks lol i soon realised never to use a garage unless an mot is needed. also frank has covered all you need to know so get it done and get pics up! :)

Well I started today (thankfully where I live - ards peninsula (the bit that sticks out the east of Northern Ireland) we get barely any adverse weather) and managed to get the engine out.

I did manhandle it by the way but I wouldn't say it was feather-weight light lol :eek:

Hopefully I'll remember where everything goes again. Still haven't got a Haynes

Pics and some words here:

http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?p=385257#post385257

Thanks for the help so far :)

Craig

Guys,

What type of grease do I need to use on the release bearing for the clutch and also on the input shaft into the gearbox.

Today, in the light I noticed LOADS of thick, gloopy oil inside the clutch housing. I'm guessing this is why the engine died. As a result I gave it a good clean in there but I want to re-grease the right bits with the proper grease.

if using new bearing and clutch plate ive allways just put them in there never heard of greasing shaft or bearing as if it comes off and hits pressure plate then its goosed as it will be contaminated and just slip, maybe frank will tell you better but like i said i aint heard of it before

if using new bearing and clutch plate ive allways just put them in there never heard of greasing shaft or bearing as if it comes off and hits pressure plate then its goosed as it will be contaminated and just slip, maybe frank will tell you better but like i said i aint heard of it before

the thrust-race is pretty much sealed iirc (i usually run a bit of oil into the gap) and i keep the spline un-lubed/dry personally :)

Yes it's sealed. I wasn't sure if a drop or grease/oil was required besides that.

Will run a wee drop into the bearing just to be sure but it looks in A1 shape, it may get changed anyway.

When I get the clutch off the old 1.0 I'll show you's a pic, we can decide then whether its worth swapping the clutch or leaving it (I'm on a seriously tight budget). Don't want to take too much off the old engine just yet because I have a shockingly bad memory and will likely forget how it all goes back together again lol

Another quick question (sorry).

Would an engine from a 2000 1.3 K11 fit? I am concerned about NATS and possibility of it being coiled too. If too much hassle I'll move on to a different 1300 engine.

Engine went in today. Having a real nightmare getting the gearbox to align nicely with the block. AAARRRGGGHHH!

Back to square one tomorrow, must be doing somethign wrong. Just can't get it to line up evenly all the way round, got front on fine but the back isn't right. Spent a good 3 hrs at it today...

Hopefully get it tommorrow.

Well, I now know why things weren't going together well. I'd accidentally left a dowel in the gearbox and also one on the block. That sucker was never going together. School boy error.

Still haven't got them together though. Just can't get them to line up perfectly, the front lines up ok and will be close together but the back is way off. No idea what I'm doing wrong. Don't want to force them with a longer bolt, it just has to slot together. More grunting required I think.

Anyway, I've also managed to break one of the wee clips on the release bearing. Would anyone have a spare I could purchase please???? :wasntme:

Back