Janspeed Manifold

henryb102

Ex. Club Member
Hey guys, I was reading earlier in the FAQ about a Janspeed 421 manifold being put on an older engine will fail the car in its MOT. I was considering buying a manifold kit and the whole exhaust system by Janspeed, but my K11s a 93 plate with 129k. Just wonderign what the reasons were as to why this is?? Cheers Henry:k11green:

the janspeed manifold removes the primary cat, this is why it may fail its MOT. This has been covered countless times so do a search.

Technically no, any car registered after 1st August 1992 is subject to a catalyst emissions test. However some of the first K11's have been known to be entered into the database incorrectly and are listed as K10's and therefore only have to pass a standard spark ignition test, <3.5% CO and 1200ppm HC IIRC.

There are also some March G# etc which get away with it, as there is also a loop hole that if there isn't an exact entry in the system database system for that vehicle with emissions figures listed a standard non-catalyst test is to be carried out instead.

So a few of us on here do get away with it, if my memory serves me correctly one March owner gets away with it and so does one guy with a 1.0L, which was logged in the system incorrectly, so has no figures listed against it.

Out of interest when mine was last MOT'd the test report listed the post 2001 emissions regs, which was theoretically incorrect, however it comfortably passed with the centre cat, (thanks to some very fine tuning from Ed ;)).

Emissions wise, I will be using a proper race cat on the next build, as I am doubtful that the secondary cat is actually capable of doing the job when the primary cat is removed........plus at 13years old I doubt it's anywhere near it's original capability.

Back