Air conditioning & Janspeed manifold... probblems??

NiteSite

Ex. Club Member
Long time no post...

About to get another Micra; 1.3 Inspiration with air-conditioning. I want to install a Janspeed manifold, but after reading a few topics I get the impression there's a problem installing one if you have air-conditioning? Is this correct, or am I just being stupid?!

If it is a problem then what is the issue exactly?

Cheers
Lee

The alternator gets in the way of the header for cylinder number 1 preventing the manifold from being fitted.

Aaaah I see, cheers bud :)

Is there anyway around this, other than removing the air-con unit? If not, are there any other performance manifolds I'd be able to fit?

hmm i doubt it as it looks very similar design to a janspeed. Thing is you gotta get maniflow which won't come cheap.

you could go custom or ditch the A/C

i think the alt is shifted up to make room for the A/C pump which is the main problem, i think you get the same problem if you have power steering...

rightr there is no problem with power steering but a/c has to go

on non a/c models the alternator is mounted lower down but on a/c models this is where the pump sits and the alternator sits above it

so get down to a scrappy and get the alternator bracket off a non a/c model then you need a new belt from a non a/c model as they are slightly shorter

i also removed the fan for the a/c radiator but left every thing else in so if i ever wanted to convert back it would not be much hassle and then get it re gassed

there are many manifold options to choose from that are tailored to fit around air-con. they are expensive though compared to a janspeed. would be about £500. they are to be found in japan where air-con is standard in all k11.

Most of the japanese kits also come with an alternator braket spacing kit.

basically some big ass washers and some longer bolts. Take the old bolts out, put the spacers in place and then stick the new bolts in and tighten them up. Readjust belt tension. This pushes the alternator out around 2 to 3cm depending on the kit you get.

Also be careful with the JDM manifold options. Most of them are 4-1 designs and intended more for race use. Street use manifolds are usually a tubular design which empties straight out into the standard manifold's cat converter - like the Z10 Cube Alpha-spec manifold.

our uk performance manifolds go all the way down to the front pipe before joining up as one.

nizzanz1 said:
there are many manifold options to choose from that are tailored to fit around air-con. they are expensive though compared to a janspeed. would be about £500. they are to be found in japan where air-con is standard in all k11.
yea my brand new janspeed was £180

thanks for all the responses :)

May have to go custom or drop the manifold for now as removing the air-con isn't an option at the mo!

How much do you think a custom manifold would be? and would there be much difference in performance to a Janspeed?

nizzanz1 said:
our uk performance manifolds go all the way down to the front pipe before joining up as one.

Yep.. Very different emphasis on performance characteristics.

Your designs offer alot more mid range. GTRHOLIC on micra.com.au has a full IMPUL exhaust system. His car is quite laggy low down, but it absolutely SCREAMS (literally - it howls like someone being murdered! lol) past 5000rpm. Absolutely balistic little monster to drive.

Leaves 1.5L jazz behind.... And I have to say, you're sitting on the motorway at 110km/hr and you drop back into 4th and floor it, it just screams its way to the revlimiter in 4th. No questions asked. lol

Did I mention the sound it makes? Sounds like you're in the middle of Japan in a March Cup race!! Beautiful! I need to make a recording of it and put it on youtube or something.

NiteSite said:
thanks for all the responses :)

May have to go custom or drop the manifold for now as removing the air-con isn't an option at the mo!

How much do you think a custom manifold would be? and would there be much difference in performance to a Janspeed?

a custom manifold i can gurrantee will be either worse, the same as or better than a janspeed manifold. that is the nature of custom, it can be anything.

Yom said:
Yep.. Very different emphasis on performance characteristics.

Your designs offer alot more mid range. GTRHOLIC on micra.com.au has a full IMPUL exhaust system. His car is quite laggy low down, but it absolutely SCREAMS (literally - it howls like someone being murdered! lol) past 5000rpm. Absolutely balistic little monster to drive.

Leaves 1.5L jazz behind.... And I have to say, you're sitting on the motorway at 110km/hr and you drop back into 4th and floor it, it just screams its way to the revlimiter in 4th. No questions asked. lol

Did I mention the sound it makes? Sounds like you're in the middle of Japan in a March Cup race!! Beautiful! I need to make a recording of it and put it on youtube or something.

yes that would be good. my omp rally exhaust sounds awesome.

this might be a stuuupid idea but... could i not by the manifld "chop" the tube of that gets in the way and re-position/weld it.

or is that just gonna defeat the whole object of it

EDIT!

this might be a stuuupid idea but... could i not buy the janspeed manifold, "chop" the tube off that gets in the way and re-position/re-weld it.

or is that just gonna defeat the whole object of it

Thats basically what is done with the "hurricane" extractors available here in Oz. I see this as a major flaw in the basic idea of getting extractors to start with.

Needless to say that is why I haven't bought a set and I'm going to make my own. I actually want to get an improvement for my money...

Back