Janspeed Exhaust system

L

LA_469

hi guys,

I believe some of you have change to the Janspeed system.I thought of changing to the Janspeed exhaust system but Singapore have regulation about this. here it is:

"The exhaust system, which consists of the exhaust manifold, catalytic converter and muffler, is used as part of a vehicle's exhaust emission control system to ensure that the exhaust emission meets our environmental requirements. Any modification to the exhaust system would therefore require LTA's approval. The following should be submitted to LTA for evaluation:
a) Certification from the product manufacturer stating that the proposed aftermarket exhaust system is suitable for the make and model of the vehicle.
b) Certifications or test reports from independent test laboratories such as TUV, DEKRA, JVIA, VCA etc. to show that the aftermarket exhaust system when fitted to the vehicle on a per make and model basis complied with prevailing exhaust emission standards.

Note: Removing catalytic converters and mufflers are not allowed as it will adversely affect the exhaust emission characteristics of the vehicle. "

Do the exhaust system pass your MOT in the UK?
Do you guys need special permit or something?
I have check with janspeed, and they told me that they have no third party reports or approval. Wonder why do i need it if UK MOT does apporve the exhaust.

I am not certain, but I believe that as long as the full Janspeed system retains at least one catalytic convertor on the exhaust system the car should pass it's MOT. No special permit is required - if the car passes, it passes, if not then there is no other way around it and the system (or at least the de-cat) would have to be removed in order to get the car through the MOT.

As for regulations in Singapore, I really have no idea. It seems that the law over there requires that the manufacturer of the system provide evidence that the system will not affect the emissions from the car (which a full system inevitably will do to some degree). As Janspeed say, they do not have independant proof of emissions, so it seems to me that you are a bit stuck to be honest. It would be easy to prove that the system was suitable for the car - after all, it is made for the Micra only. However, from what you have said, it will be hard to find/commission an approved body to report on the emissions increase.

Hope this helps (and makes sense lol)

doubtful it would pass an MOT with a janspeed, mine didn't. You will more then likely have to change the fueling a bit to lean it out slightly.

Cant say if its legal but all exhaust over here have to have the british standards or eu stamp on them! Like the one found on condoms!

Wrenchable said:
Cant say if its legal but all exhaust over here have to have the british standards or eu stamp on them! Like the one found on condoms!

A Durex manifold!.....sorry, its late and I've had too much to drink :wasntme:

Thanks guys,

i will try to talk to the person from the inspection center.
see what more is needed before i oeder it from Janspeed.

aarrgh..

Back