James May

Just returned from my weekly coffee and book browse at Waterstones. On page 35/36 of James May's book May on Motors he has a few things to say, all negative and rather insulting, about Micras and their owners: "sister's car, girly car, blokes with 'small plums', " etc.

You may say "who gives a toss what James May thinks about Micras" but consider the fact that thousands are going to buy that book and say "yah, he's right" and heap even more abuse in print and in public on us hapless owners of what is really a sensible car to tinker with, modify and just get around in.

So, next time his mug comes up on Top Gear, and you don't want to mess up your TV by throwing a little of what you're eating at him, at least mute the sound and give him the two fingered salute.

S

James is represented by:
Arlington Enterprises Ltd
1-3 Charlotte Street
London
W1T 1RD

if anyone needs to drop the foppy haired, silver spoon fed, baggy faced, inbred muppet a line.

that is a rather small minded comment for what i thought was a rather intelligent man, there is no such things as a crap car in this world, they all serve a purpose for something. the only bad thing on the road is the drivers....

Just returned from my weekly coffee and book browse at Waterstones. On page 35/36 of James May's book May on Motors he has a few things to say, all negative and rather insulting, about Micras and their owners: "sister's car, girly car, blokes with 'small plums', " etc.

You may say "who gives a toss what James May thinks about Micras" but consider the fact that thousands are going to buy that book and say "yah, he's right" and heap even more abuse in print and in public on us hapless owners of what is really a sensible car to tinker with, modify and just get around in.

So, next time his mug comes up on Top Gear, and you don't want to mess up your TV by throwing a little of what you're eating at him, at least mute the sound and give him the two fingered salute.

S

i agree with everything he says they are not cool and never will be...get over it

Voice of Reason

Ah, Sonic, The Voice of Reason and right to the chase, as always. Thanks for the address, think I'll write him a nasty letter.

S

S
blokes with 'small plums', " etc. ?why his he bothered with the size of other blokes plums ? and a micra is a really good car in my book ( well mine is ) yes they dont look much,yes they are cheap to run on a budget,yes they can be modded just like any car,yes they run for ever and ever and longer. hes gay ,just hasnt come out the closset yet :laugh:

nobody said they were cool, but I for one have HUGE plums.

go see james may then hes interested :p

Funny I would think the people who James May may appeal too would probably mostly own old Rovers etc, may not even know what a Micra is?! :)

Bit of a stupid narrow minded comment to make, but then i think we're all guilty of that one! slagging off corsa / BMW drivers for example :p

I don't look up to the bloke or anything so his comments don't really matter. I drive the car, not him, so who cares what he or others think!

True Arnold, I really dont give a toss what people think of my car, I like it and thats what matters to me, but people in the public eye and particularly motoring journalists who should know better, should learn to research into their subject matter before commenting, but then again it is understandable how this fool would make such a blase comment, he does allow himself to be paid substantially less than his co-presenters on Top Gear.

okay, apart from the decent early engines - k10, k11. What's good about the micra, because mine is slow, handles poor, seems to be made of rust, poor interior, unstable at speed.....

the only thing i like about it, is that it turns on every day.

micras are old cars now, and really, imo, aren't that good

okay, apart from the decent early engines - k10, k11. What's good about the micra, because mine is slow, handles poor, seems to be made of rust, poor interior, unstable at speed.....

sounds like you have a bad one there then cos mine aint not like that apart from it starts every time i turn the key and never let me down ( touch wood ) yet

But what do you expect. They're not built as race cars, and considering how old the K10 and some K11's are, you don't expect them to have all the mod cons that you see today. What's the point of comparing something old to new, the old car is going to be 'crap', but they're not crap cars! Very reliable and great MPG and they are fun to drive. Brand new cars get rusty, but its obviously going to be worse on a car that's 20 years old or more. Don't forget that the K10 has been around since 1982!

men who drive micras have small plums... lol! actually its normally guys with really big cars that are over compenstating normally. also i dont really care what james may thinks (not my type tbh lol with me bein straight n all that) and the people whose opinion i do care dont actually care what i drive and actually think my cars quite good......

I think James May is pretty cool. Although, whether he writes that in his book or not, the poeple who are going to read it probably already have in mind that Micra's suck.

i recon kev should wright to the top gear show about james book.... and then get ED to take him out around the track in the ST...... what publicity would there be for micras then.... and this is serious too. i mean if Ed wont, what about some of the 2.0l micras?....

or even mine, i would take him out in mine round the track, im sure its gotta be faster than the suzuki leana.,.,.lol

But there's more to a car than just speed! Comfort & style is just as important to a critic. As mad as the ST or even little bandit were, they're not standard micras. Maybe if Nissan released the ST in England, or they released a 1.6 in the K11, Micra's wouldn't have the image they have today.

on that not. if micras are so bad. how come the k11's are a popular choice for rallying. i.e the 1000 class.
simple good handling cheap and are still reliable after a good thrashing.
and at the end of the day why worry about comments from a man nicked named captain slow.

Agreed and as for the small plums comment, total rubbish. Driving a micra mearly proves that were not trying to make up for anything. lol hahaha

We must keep this in context however. Compare only against the same kind of car of the same year, then the Micra can hold its own just fine. FWIW I took the ST out this evening (I shouldn't as it has a weeping head gasket) but my goodness it still really scares me haha!

I used to bad mouth micras till i got mine and drove it, it changes your attitude towards them completely. Its faster than my friends clio, got more valves, more reliable (he's constantly scared about his cambelt and his dodgy electronics that are always going!), got a stiffer suspension, more room inside and its less likely to get stolen.
Oh i also get more Mpg while getting there faster... win win!

Back