buying.. accident damaged car

W

waseem

Hi

i am asking a question on behalf of my friend... what happend is that my friend bought a nissan micra from a car trader (trader who deals from home)

he has now received the log book and it says that the car was damaged/ repaired... when purchasing the car the trader did not mention this but my friend did ask wehether it was damaged and repaired he said no.... i was with him at the time and did have a look at the loog book.. it did not say anything about it being damaged/repaired... what he wants to know is there anything that he can do... or does he just have to put up with the car

Well before questioning his honesty, perhaps he missed it while looking through the paperwork, he probably has loadsa car paperwork to read maybe he didnt know about it.

On the other hand, he did lie to you and, although I dont know much about it, I think you have some rights to ask for a refund or something.

Do you know what was damaged?

hi turtle

i had a look at the car with my friend to see what the damage was and it seems like it was frontal damage ....... we had a proper close look and the headlight looks out of line .. but you cant notice untill you have a real close look

hmm if he said no he is miss-selling the product. I believe you should be able to take it back and return the car for your money. I would check this out first though. You might be told "buyer beware" like a private sale, but this is trade so it is different. Try asking trading standards i guess.

do it the scottish way:D put the dude through the window , brick through another window and ask for a refund lol!!

i would ask a lawyer or something like that see wat they say

i had a similar problem recently.

i don't think you have alot of options.

under the sales of goods act you can return the car if it's not in a satisfactory sale condition. you would need to stop driving it immediately, contact trading standards and then send a recorded letter requesting refund.

i decided it wasn't all worth the bother, as most car dealers are ####ing ####s and will fight you every step of the way, and dont give a #### about their reputation.

good luck anyway!

I suggest you telephone the guy, explain what you have found and see what he says. Then ask if he knows what caused the damage. Perhaps suggest that he refunds you say £100 (I dunno what you paid?) to get the headlight straightened out.

But if your happy with the car.... why bother?

If he has dishonestly misrepresented something about the car, then you are entitled to rescind the contract and get a full refund etc. Hard part will be proving it, but as (you say) he is a trader so should have been aware of teh history of the vehicle.
Your best bet if you are serious about it is to see a lawyer, failing that, tell him that you have seen a Lawyer and that you want a portion of the price back, otherwise you will take him through court to rescind thecontract.
I can find out teh name of a relevant case if you want to throuw that at him.
Craig

Back