Jacking point/axle stand point

Hi all, just wondering where the front and rear trolley jack points are, and where people put their axle stands... Forgive me if thats a stupid question :p

For lifting the front I use the rear wishbone mount and for the rear I use the trailing arm mount

Axle stands I put where the Haynes manual says to jack

Wishbone or centre engine bar for the front with stands under the big brackets at the end of the cross member

Rear I jack up the axel from the centre and put stands under the axel just next to the spring cups

Ahhhh :) Karl, when you put the axle stand on the haynes jacking point do you put a peice of wood in between the stand and jack point?

I position my trolley jack under the wishbone rear mount here arrowed red.
note some trolley jack heads can swivel, I turn mine till the grooves align with the cylindrical shape of the rear mount bracket.

then i lower the car on the stands as shown

347k.jpg

• preferably jack up only the front or rear end of the car at a time with the other end touching ground,
  • handbrake on and in-gear,
  • preferably wheel-choked (especially front wheels cos an open-diff, even in-gear won't prevent the car swivelling to one side n falling off the stands [found out the hard way at one point]),
  • check the floor is flat n solid,
  • the axle stand pegs are fully inserted with the lock-clip inserted.
  • also check the edge of the LH stand doesn't clip the bolt on the inner side of the chassis rail that holds the fuel/brake line support bracket as shown here. place it abit ahead or behind that bolt so it doesn't snap off

210h.jpg

for the rear, I place the hydraulic jack under the middle of the rear beam axle then rest the ends of the round beam (before the flatter spring cup section) on axle stands.

if I need to lower the rear axle further such as changing springs/shocks:
  • secure front wheels
  • loosen rear wheel nuts
  • jack up via the middle of beam axle
  • rest rear axle on stands
  • remove rear wheels
cos the brake hose can only stretch so far before damage, you may need to unhook it from the axle to allow the axle to drop fully.
  • for rear disc brakes - unbolt the caliper off the carrier and leave it resting on top of the disc
  • for drum brakes - may need to disconnect the hose from the axle
the panhard rod will try to swing the axle to one side and bind the geometry when ur dropping the axle. disconnecting the rod helps prevent the linkages from "springing" back up while ur trying to push it down. The stock rubber panhard rod bushing is likely to be bonded to a fully rust seized metal insert bush so prob best to leave it alone to prevent damage.
if the bush has been replaced ie whiteline panhard rod, then you could just undo and slip the rod off.

• undo the rear dampers strut top nuts
  • jack up the car from the middle of rear axle again
  • position the axle stands (the top of stand cushioned with a thick bunch of rags) on a "valley" looking part of the chassis just ahead of the rear lower trailing arm chassis mount
  • slowly lower the chassis onto the stands, always checking they're in the correct position
  • continue changing suspension bits

Just what i was looking for :) Needing to get it on axle stands so i can fiddle with the underside after events on the rough stuff:p

i always use a piece of wood between the jack/axle stand on the sill lower rail.
That's a pretty tidy idea I'm gonna steal... My jack folds the sill slightly (on the proper jack points :/ ) so hopefully this'll keep the pressure off it.

yup i did that first time and went straight to the boot for the official one. naturally it wasnt there so i went improv!

sometimes you'll hear a creak but in my experience its always the wood!

anyone know were i can get the adapter for axle stands

They are not easily available, I've never seen one in fact.
Many options though:
If jacking the rear place them on the axle in the outer welded bit (not at home so can't get a photo)
If placing axle stand on a sill, first check your silk is solid, then use a peice of wood between the stand and the sill.
Lastly, use a suitably strong looking suspension mount (rear wishbone I think I use?) to place the axle stand and again use a peice of wood to stop scratches

Back