is the sh## starting to hit the fan ?

frank

Club Member
is anyone starting to feel the effects of the economic slowdown yet ? (lay-offs, redundancy,s etc)
apparently the car factory,s are gearing down for 4 day weeks, and random 1 week shutdowns :eek:

I'm not effected but i know several people who have lost their jobs recently

Same here, lucky I'm not effected.
But i know several people who have lost their jobs recently either by restructures or companys going bust.

here banks are rising they interest on credits....and automaticly rising rates of credits for the final consuments.... :) and it is all because of americans....idiots :)

Our shop business is well down, combination of less customers, supplier increases in trade prices and us having to increase our prices to try and maintain the same margins.

On a major plus side our internet business is growing at an 81% growth which is amazing when you compare the average internet growth is only at 30% this year and current financial climate being the way it is.

Plus the busiest time of year for us is yet to come :)

Kev

My Company is a manufacturer of drainage pipe and fittings. We're in the strange situation where we're actually expanding, taking on new staff, increasing the technical and sales departments and making a new department.

Luckily we're in the commercial market and if it wasn't for the olympics this wouldn't be the case!!!

the company i work for seems to be doing better, we work with arcade machines and gambling systems... no idea why more people would be gambling, but they do...

but still i want to move jobs, and i keep getting rejected for interviews which is crappy...

, we work with arcade machines and gambling systems... no idea why more people would be gambling, but they do...

people are trying to get rich quickly.... :down: i tried too....i have put some money on victory of croatia over england in Zagreb...i have lose :unclesam:

and i keep getting rejected for interviews which is crappy...

You need to jazz up your CV! I know so many people who have filled theres with rubbish and have got interviews / jobs as a result. I know its dishonest but everyone's doing it, and these people are probably getting the interviews you aren't.

Building Consultancy here, as the market goes down people look to save money so we get more business, as the market goes up they want to spend money so we get more business. We have had a couple of redundancies but only at senior level where they weren't doing much.

i work part-time for a DIY retailer, and in the last week weve been told the company is to undergo 'restructuring', probably meening those with multiple job-roles (part-time team-leaders, trainers and admin assistants etc, who also work on the shop floor) may loose their secondry roles, and thus take a cut in pay...

Education institute here, economy slow down or recession do not affect us much. there will be a re-structure coming soon but that only means removing the useless old logs and create more opportunity for us more experienced employees to move up.

i know a few friends made redundant in the IT industry but thats about it. i still eat, drink and drive the same way.

i work for an american healthcare company but we seem ok at the moment we're still recruiting more and investing lots in new computer hardware.

here banks are rising they interest on credits....and automaticly rising rates of credits for the final consuments.... :) and it is all because of americans....idiots :)

not just the yank,s, i watched a little vid last night that explains how the money markets work (a bit long, but a REAL eye opener)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9050474362583451279
it basicly explains, that there,s less than 5% of "real" money (or gold, etc) swilling around in the world,s pot of finance, and the other 95%+ is purely debt (every time we sign a mortgage or loan or credit card transaction, that amount is added to the pot :eek: ).

And I'm the idiot setting up a business dealing with so called "luxary goods" :doh:

Setting up aquariums for businesses (like behind counters, in lobbys etc) and maintaining them! Doubt I'm going to get a loan :sleepy:

Doubt I'm going to get a loan :sleepy:

Banks are giving out loans, as they can take advantage of the higher interest rates and earn more money back. It's also a very good time to save as again they're offering higher interest rates for customers. They basically need your money so they can dish it out again to other people, but it's extremely difficult for anyone to get a mortgage at the moment.

You need to jazz up your CV! I know so many people who have filled theres with rubbish and have got interviews / jobs as a result. I know its dishonest but everyone's doing it, and these people are probably getting the interviews you aren't.

i think you are right, i have just put what i have done, i need to pad it with crap lol

Start gathering weapons, fuel and food...were gonna be like the mad max film soon lol....mad micras!

seconded :D i am soo up for that :D

apparently the car factory,s are gearing down for 4 day weeks, and random 1 week shutdowns :eek:

Nothing so far, although the mangers have notcied that only race cars and the really expensive models are selling (basicly people that are so rich there un affected) and Japan are importing more than ever.

not just the yank,s, i watched a little vid last night that explains how the money markets work (a bit long, but a REAL eye opener)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9050474362583451279
it basicly explains, that there,s less than 5% of "real" money (or gold, etc) swilling around in the world,s pot of finance, and the other 95%+ is purely debt (every time we sign a mortgage or loan or credit card transaction, that amount is added to the pot :eek: ).

yes i know but this last crisis is because american banks have give the credits for realestate to those who couldnt pay them back..the poor people....(i dont say that was bad :) ) and banks have started to lose they money...and the system collapsed simple as that...automaticly prize of stocks of the banks started to lose on value...automaticly whole market of stocks became unstable...at the end...it will all came back on the poor people and hard working middle class of people...thrz the interests on credits etc....

yeah it will be the poorest that pay the highest price. This is how banks work - they lend money to make money. Like the guy on tv said last night, it is the government at fault not the banks. The banks have no moral obligation, only legal. This is why they are regulated. Like davor said, the banks lost loads of money backing england to beet brazil 10-0, now we will all have to pay the price, especially if the states cant buy out their bad debt.

Not wishing to deviate here, but did anyone hear the Chris Moyles show the other morning, they were giving their two pence (like they do) on the 'credit crisis', i think it was comedy dave who said, with sincerest critique: 'why dont they just print more money?' :suspect:

Since then i keep hearing people saying the same thing, (my gf's brother in law, people in tesco's etc.). Its so annoying! Cos im not clever, and as a result i find it hard to explain how much of a bad thing that is!

If you print more money, then money itself becomes worthless. Only if you printed money in secret, would it be of any gain.

The thing I find amusing, is that this whole concept of money, and debt, and credit is entirely human based. There is no natural disaster, nothing out of our grasp. For some reason, we playing by our own rules.

I work in retail, and prices have gone up, and customer numbers have gone down, and earnings have gone down, but I got a pay rise this month, which is nice :D

Think of it like this: The more money there is, the less money is worth. Because that is true, if you introduce more money into an economy, prices go up (inflation). That is the very basic jist of it.

Printing money is not the answer as it just decreases in value. Germany done this after WWI due to having to pay loads of money out in the treaty of versaille. The German economy became absoloutly useless. People were taking wheel barrows of money home, and the wheelbarrow was worth more money.

Basically we're gonna be going through crap for a few years to come. Older members have seen several recessions (early 80s, late 80s and early 90s) but I've been led to believe this is the worst.

All we can do is bite the bullet and see what happens to the economy. Things are going to get worse before they get better!

halfords is actualy doing better now than last year..lol
partly due to people buying bikes instead of driving cars, partly cos the cars on the roads are now older (less people buying new) and then theyre keeping them on the road.... and partly cos weve been trhough a couple of recessions in our 101yr history.

but also due to motorworld shutting down. so no competition there anymore (not that there was much anyway)
Curry's laying off all of their deputy managers (lots more experienced staff for halfords to take on)
and partly cos were good at what we do.

wait till you lot see the 2009 bike range weve got... your gonna wet yourself..lol

I work for the NHS so no problems here in fact they have just created some new mangers posts just to relocate some of the current managers as we have too many. Thats one of the main problems with the economy, the NHS waste a fortune on managers who aren't needed.

Well when I get paid I'm off out to buy as much gold as possible, it's the only way of really protecting your money.

Complete opposite for us, I'm working as an engineer for Network Rail and we're investing £30bn over the next five years. More people are using trains!

Well when I get paid I'm off out to buy as much gold as possible, it's the only way of really protecting your money.

Wish i was more awake to this a few years ago, more than doubled in value in the last five years. I have been telling my folks to buy gold for nearly a year, but instead they put a load into premium bonds, which in itself is a good thing, but not as good as gold for the time being!

All it takes is someone to find a new gold deposit, and you'll gold goes down tenfold in value.

Everything works on quantity. The less of something there is, the more it's worth.

Yeah but as long as our govt. keeps selling it off it's going up in value, should it drop you simply wait for it to go up again. The way money is going it soon won't be worth andything but gold will always be currency, wherever you are.

savings are covered to £50,000 now ??
how the hell are the government going to guarantee ANY savings when they already owe over £600 billion in national debt :p

it's extremely difficult for anyone to get a mortgage at the moment.

Not necessarily true - mortgages are out there, it's just that they are only offering sensible amounts to people who can repay them - the days of the >90% mortgage are (thankfully) dead.

Did you see that Northern Rock have withdrawn many of their higher interest savings what a turnaround..

Complete opposite for us, I'm working as an engineer for Network Rail and we're investing £30bn over the next five years. More people are using trains!

And where is that money coming from Pete????

savings are covered to £50,000 now ??
how the hell are the government going to guarantee ANY savings when they already owe over £600 billion in national debt :p

Because they are never going to pay it and if they do it will be because the banking system has totally failed and we'll be well on our way to hyper-inflation, either that or they'll give it out in government bonds.

I work in credit management so we should be laughing soon, as long as all the companies don't go bust...

And where is that money coming from Pete????

£27.8bn from government, the ORR (Office of Rail Regulation) did their own calculations and said that £27.8bn was enough for what Network Rail wanted to do, along with increasing efficiency by another 30% in 5 years (its already done this in the last 5 years, so the next 5 is a big target).

Unfortunately when the railway was privatised it went out of control, with lots of things not being replaced/maintained as they should which means we're now paying for those bad decisions. Hopefully this money will rectify the problems and make the british railway world class :)

Frank, they can just borrow more. Government bonds (guilts) are just about the safest place to put your money, much more so than gold. Lending money to the government is not a bad investment. Mind you, if everyone lost all their savings tommorrow, who would have any money to lend? :)

I cannot say enough how much i hate the train service within the UK. They are very expensive, always late, changes to bloody bus service without warning, cancel service without warning, trains are filthy and so are the stations! :down:

I hope the £30bn can bring improvement but it will mean years of delays due to maintainence work :down:

In addition, i dont want to sound selfish sort of thing but the economy collapsing means a glimmer of hope for us first time buyers to be able to get on the property ladder. But it looks as if i have to wait for a few more years for it come down to a reasonable price!

and i wish to point out the share-ownership schemes for first time buyers are rubbish! lol

£27.8bn from government, the ORR (Office of Rail Regulation) did their own calculations and said that £27.8bn was enough for what Network Rail wanted to do, along with increasing efficiency by another 30% in 5 years (its already done this in the last 5 years, so the next 5 is a big target).

Unfortunately when the railway was privatised it went out of control, with lots of things not being replaced/maintained as they should which means we're now paying for those bad decisions. Hopefully this money will rectify the problems and make the british railway world class :)

National services like that should never have been privatised, but that's a whole different political rant.

Also, the only way that house prices will fall to an 'affordable' level will be if unemployment gets much higher which I don't think that anyone wants...

a little bi of offtopic.... :) i read on the internet that the russia have a new plane that can carry A-bombs & it was flyng over Great Britain undetected..all the way till town called Hull.....know anything about it?

redundant

i worked for westfield sports cars till last week,made redundant and all the body shops and garages are very quiet. so no job

Yeah i heard about that - wasnt it a year or so ago though? They scrambled fighters but the russians didnt respond.

Back