Intermittent Wiper Failure

Hi All

My 1999 reg 998cc (post face lift) Micra's wipers completely failed a few months ago. Infact, one arm almost came off during a particularly bad rain storm and I eventually had to replace the wiper rod linkage for both wiper arms.

The new wiper rod linkage did the trick and the wipers seem to work really well in normal and fast mode and when I turn off the wipers they seem to park okay. However, when I switch to intermittent wiper mode the wiper blades start to go over the screen but then stop intermittently at different places never completing a propoer wiper cycle.

So what are my options ? I have read through various forum replies about this problem and I must admit i'm not sure what to try. Should I take the wiper motor apart or bite the bullet and replace it or start messing around with relays or electrical cables.

Like I said when the wipers are on normal or fast speed no problems and the wipers park okay. As soon as I switch to intermittent wiper mode the arms don't complete a proper cycle and are left hanging in the middle of the screen, much to my annoyance!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I would guesstimate that it's a relay problem...I suppose it'd work just like indicator flashers....

Last edited:
As Magpie says, sounds like the relay... put a cable tie vertically around the little black box on the bulk head at the back by the wiper motor, usually its the cable that goes into the box and by manipulating it you can get the intermittent working again, that's if you have a black box!

Probably one of those awkward ones near the fuses inside...

Sent from the Magpie's magical nest using mad avian skills...

Back