Wiper & Central locking problem

Hi all,

I've had this Micra for about 6 months now (it's an X-reg, 2000, Micra SE 16v 1.0), it was previously owned by an old lady so it's in good nick and has only done about 30k on the clock :).

Although, it's got a few problems with it, and I've tried asking all sorts of mechanics and electricians - they all say it would cost me more to figure out what part it was than to just replace the car. Personally, I don't want to replace the car - I love it!

So, these are my problems:
Wipers
The front-intermittent setting and rear wipers don't work sometimes, they'll park fine and all that but every now and then they'll just stop working full-stop (they'll park and then just not work). Then all of a sudden while driving, or sometimes (on a good day after starting the car), they'll decide to start working fine. When this is happening, the spray also doesn't work (the spray comes out but the wiper does nothing), and I have to manually wipe the front screen (the rear does absolutely nothing and just dribbles down the screen when I try to clean it while this is happening).

All the other things work fine such as the 2nd and 3rd settings on the front (the faster settings), and the manual wipe.

Central locking
This hasn't worked since I got it, originally the keyfob buttons were broke so I replaced them (re-soldered) and the car responds to the keyfob, but when I try to unlock, it'll re-lock instantly - it takes about 3 tries to get it to unlock.

Also while driving sometimes it'll randomly engage itself and unlock/lock the doors.

I'm not too bothered about the central locking, and I'd rather just disconnect it so I can manually lock/unlock the doors via the key or inside the car. But sometimes the super-lock will engage and I'll have to get out the car just to let someone in!

Any help is greatly appreciated, I've googled and asked around and nobody seems to know what's up with it!

Last edited:
Your wipers could be a loose connection maybe, disconnect the power to the central locking at the motor end driver door...that should fix that. My central locking does not work, and you're right...... it doesn't matter.
Others on here will help I'm sure, mine are un-educated guesses. :)

I had a central locking fault like that. It turned out to be one of the door lock barrels not returning fully due to a broken return spring on the barrel itself. To find which one it was I wiggled the key slightly in each door lock and the central locking started to lock or unlock without a full key turn.

How would I go about that, davyboy? Do I take the door panel off and just disconnect the motor that locks the door? (bit clueless when it comes to cars).

Right well, I just took the side panels off and disconnected the actuators and the problem is gone. I think it was the drivers-side actuator as it is stiff, smells like stagnant water (probably why it's not working).

Although, I cannot seem to get the thing out to take a look at the actuator so I can clean it. It's connected by only some sort of wire or connector leading behind the security panels (which I can't remove at the moment as I can't find my spanner!).

Still need to fix the wipers though...

Well done bud, cheap enough to get an actuator on fleabay or the scrappies.
Your wipers do seem like a loose connection though.....have a bit of a wiggle on them and see what happens,!

Where exactly could the loose connection be though? I find it strange that the manual wipe and faster settings work fine, yet the rear one and intermittent ones sporadically work...

I have the Haynes book here, any ideas which particular part could be loose?

Back