instrument cluster swap

hello from canada, I have an '89 k10 ma12 with a 5 spd. I came with a standard intrument cluster with no tach. (same as you have out there I have seen it on some cars) I was at a local scrappy and found one with a tach. so I grabbed it and istalled it on my car. when I picked it up at the scrap yard I compared the two of them and they looked the same( the other one was from an '86 or '87 everything looked the same and the plugs fit in too. after I got it installed nothing worked on it. only a couple of things. when I looked back at the wire harnesses of the two I saw that the wires were different( the same wires but in different spots) so I went ahead and matched up all the wires. and after some playing around I got all the lights to work, the gas gauge and the temp gauge( ofcourse the speedo worked) but no matter what I do I can not get the tach to work. I have noticed that most of you that have the same cluster as I do, it is on the same year or newer. Here in Canada after '87 or '88 can't remember exact but no more tachs came with the Micras. If anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it thanks. If I am going to mod my car then I am going to want a working tach. and I would like to keep it natural. Please help

You need to create a new feed from the ignition coil for the rev counter to work.

So just run a wire from the coil to the Rev counter? what wires do I need to tap into for this to work? is there a thread that expains it? I tried doing a search but couldn't find what I need. anyways I try again. Any advise would be great thanks

Yeah loads of threads on this particular topic! I cant remember which side of the coil you go into, or which wire you tap into but it's definitely been explained on here :)

Back