Idle drop with aircond

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
its the funny round thing in front of the throttle body.. has a bunch of wires coming out the top of it(next to the throttle position sensor) unscrew it and gently pull it out...its a solenoid that rotates allowing more/less air to the engine to modulate the idle speed. it'll be gummed up with black muck, maybe.

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
Do what Fred said. I was having the same problem, it also was stalling with out the aircon on though and I thought it was the TB resolder problem so I resoldered, but it didn't fix it.

Cleaning the idle control valve was spot on. Just DO NOT LOSE the rubber washer that sits inside. The washer was a little loose and kept slipping off when I tried putting it all back togehter. Not sure if it was the right thing to do (I think I read it in the Haynes), but I smeared a little bit of clean engine oil on the washer so that it was sticky enough to stay on while I stuck the control valve back in.

https://micra.org.uk/cmf/message/43511

I had to adjust the idle speed afterward though with the screw at the back of the TB because I had played with it in the past to try stop the car from stalling...

CMF_Doom

» CMF Member
Hi guys,

Thanks to all that posted to help my problem.
I pulled it apart today after work and had a quick look. It was corroded and seized up. There was also a heap of crap in the chamber below it.
I gave it a quick clean and it works much better.

I have another throttle body sitting there, so I might build that one up properly and change the whole thing over once done.

I plan to re solder all the joints
Clean the sensor and chamber below it really well
Loose the coolant hose that runs thro it.

Any other suggestions while it is apart to do?

Back