I Melted A Piston (again)...

well i was limiting in 5th as normal lol got to my destination and the car sounds like a subaru or like its running on three cylinders. done this before and its the same symptoms but not as bad as before, slight smoke coming out the oil breather aswell, done a compression test and like before it was piston number 3, turned out 14-14-8-14...car still runs fine though but it wont be going to blackpool afterall LOL

well when i got it dyno'd it leans after 4,500rpm so at 6,000+ its not going be be fine lol something to do with carbon turning into molten on the piston and melting it

Why dont you put bigger injectors in and put up with the poor power / fuel economy low down. At least you wont need a new engine!.... ?

well where can i get bigger injectors than the primera ones i have?? also i may now look into forged pistons again...help?? :)

Why dont you put bigger injectors in and put up with the poor power / fuel economy low down. At least you wont need a new engine!.... ?

Because it will over fuel and there's no point the car will be down on power,sure How much would you spend throwning a set in.This fella knows what he has to do get a map! It has everything but the essential. Might be quick but its absolutely pointless driving around in that if its gona let you down like that.

Had to happen eventually bud. But motors are cheap. Boost is fun. :blues:

Gotta be approaching the limit where more has been spent on engines than mapping soon?

Stani - what do you mean be experiments, just running it at mega boost 'till it dies?

Craig

piston rings maybe?

well runing 11 psi on stock internals and less than 12:1 a/f ratio, something was bound to go bang matey.

trust me, lowering the boost to 6psi on a smaller turbo and having it properly mapped would see more power low down and more reliable higher up.
overall a much more enjoyable car.

it only sucks because it was meant to be going to blackpool and now im taking something else...all is well :) ive realised not to give up anymore

Stani it's your choice but I would advise you to get the fueling sorted before you go spending cash on forged bits etc. With a well setup ecu you can run about 8 psi without stressing the engine too much and atleast you will be able to drive it all the way to 6,800 and not have engines blowing every month.

When your forged bits arrive
Shipmentoffail.jpg

and for anyone reading this and thinking ive turbo'd my car and it melts things by driving it like a granny then your wrong, the car lasted 2 months of constant abuse, at 0.8 bar of boost and 4.5 bar fuel, on standard internals and ecu. it wouldnt have happened if i didnt sit on the limiter for so long! especially when its leaning real bad lol car never had any problems in those 2 months and to be honest it shouldnt have happened as there was no real reason to be doing what i was doing. id like to see any other perfectly running car take what my car has taken over the past 2 months

and for anyone reading this and thinking ive turbo'd my car and it melts things by driving it like a granny then your wrong, the car lasted 2 months of constant abuse, at 0.8 bar of boost and 4.5 bar fuel, on standard internals and ecu. it wouldnt have happened if i didnt sit on the limiter for so long! especially when its leaning real bad lol car never had any problems in those 2 months and to be honest it shouldnt have happened as there was no real reason to be doing what i was doing. id like to see any other perfectly running car take what my car has taken over the past 2 months

Mine the last 2years mate, thats 2years,10 trackdays which are harder than any spirited drive or constant abuse on the road for two bloody months, numerous drag sessions at 1.2 bar boost and its perfect,your car is a credit to you but at some stage you will have to listen to someone Stan.
Sorry bout the pic could'nt resist:laugh:

Stani I didn't realise it was holding up so well. Nice one! yeah get it mapped, any way you can up the fuel pressure slightly in the mean time?

Because it will over fuel and there's no point the car will be down on power.
I meant over fueling lowers the temperature, so better to be on the safe side before getting mapped. Overfueling the bottom might loose bottom end power, but also keep temperatures lower (a/f better/richer) at the top & possibly a little more bhp.

forget the fueling for a minute, it was running creeping boost upto 11psi!!!!!!!

it needs a smaller turbo running lower boost!. that would be better to drive with more usable power.

Stani I didn't realise it was holding up so well. Nice one! yeah get it mapped, any way you can up the fuel pressure slightly in the mean time?

I meant over fueling lowers the temperature, so better to be on the safe side before getting mapped. Overfueling the bottom might loose bottom end power, but also keep temperatures lower (a/f better/richer) at the top & possibly a little more bhp.

To a certain extent your correct, but I gained 25hp by putting the standard injectors back in the st and a good map,bigger injector where flooding it through the rev range, killing power,there is such a thing as too rich

forget the fueling for a minute, it was running creeping boost upto 11psi!!!!!!!

it needs a smaller turbo running lower boost!. that would be better to drive with more usable power.

or just alter the wastegate. lower the boost.

that would help also, but consider that turbo will make its 8psi higher up the rev range due to the sheer size of the thing, a smaller turbo will run higher boost faster as it will spool alot quicker..

doesnt the starlet gt turbo run a Garrett t15 turbo?, the 200sx runs a T25, pulsar a T28, the turbo on stanis car is bigger than any of those... its far too big for a 1.3.

The starlet runs a toyota ct9.

I agree the t3 is bit big but he could have 36/48 which is a bit bigger than t25tbh.

Running a big turbo does not induce boost creep, He may have some issue with his wastegate possibly.

Redlining a car does not kill it, a bad tune those.

I mapped my car and made sure fuelling was good, I used to bounce off the limiter quite a bit untill i got a rev gauge and that was for almost a year of driving.

Back