How Many Turbo Micras

With regard to brakes...for the little extra it costs i dont see why you wouldnt upgrade them. Locking up the wheels doesnt help you stop, bigger brakes spread the load better and yes decrease fade (agreed more necessary on track), otherwise why would other faster cars of similar size be running bigger brakes from the factory.

But its probably gonna workout the same way as the discussion ages ago about turbo vs supercharger...everyone will have their own opinion, to which they are allowed. :)

I also stand by 4k being a decent, though high estimate on costs.

With regard to brakes...for the little extra it costs i dont see why you wouldnt upgrade them. Locking up the wheels doesnt help you stop, bigger brakes spread the load better and yes decrease fade (agreed more necessary on track), otherwise why would other faster cars of similar size be running bigger brakes from the factory.

But its probably gonna workout the same way as the discussion ages ago about turbo vs supercharger...everyone will have their own opinion, to which they are allowed. :)

I also stand by 4k being a decent, though high estimate on costs.

Because it's not necessary was the point, it's not life or death my s14 has bigger brakes because it's got double the power and I use it on track and it's now capable of way more top end
The point I was making was yes bigger is better and ideally you would change them but a cheap turbo set up ain't gonna make the car into a rocket so it doesn't need to be top priority as it won't make the car dangerous! It will however make the car faster even with the standard engine bigger brakes are a great upgrade and certainly surprise a few bigger cars when they have to brake 1/4 mile behind you, brakes are important but as long as the stock ones are good condition he doesn't need to worry to much
And I know it's backwards making a car faster before making it stop better but some people can't wait for boost (me included) and if you can save a few quid without running any risks then why not

Going for bigger brakes is not necessarily about stopping power or vehicle weight. There are other reasons to fit larger brake discs and multiple pot calipers. You'll find for those of us who track their cars, (which isn't a lot of us on here), opt for bigger discs for braking control reasons. The benefit of a larger disc is not just related to power, although that is an obvious benefit. The main reason is the disc sits closer to the rolling radius of the wheel & tyre and allows greater control under braking. Locking up the wheels is what you want to avoid and on a smaller disc this is actually easier to do under heavy braking on a race circuit.

Bigger brakes when considered properly most certainly do offer benefits, as long as the suspension system is considered for any additional unsprung weight from the larger disc. Even for an optimum track setup on 15" wheels, GTI-R brakes are still quite puny. You'll quite frequently see K11 Micras with 4pot 280mm setups running on tarmac stages across Europe.

gtsnissanb i understand what youre saying and im happy to accept your and others opinion...but i see it as, you wouldnt decide to go sky diving and put off packing your shute properly. (extreme example i agree haha)

With the power mine is producing, i dunno if i'd be confident trusting the stock brakes (well actually i musnt have been or i wouldnt have upgraded them :) )...ive had to brake a few times to avoid accidents both before and after the upgrade and whereas the stock ones locked up virtually straight away and sent me accross the road into the on coming lane (thanks to a van driver deciding as i came around a left hand blind corner to pull a U turn)...a less serious incident with the bigger brakes brought the car to a stop without a single lockup or squeak. Both of those were at 30mph btw.

I will say i was also intending on putting it on the track at some point...so i do have another reason for the brakes :)

But each to there own.

gtsnissanb i understand what youre saying and im happy to accept your and others opinion...but i see it as, you wouldnt decide to go sky diving and put off packing your shute properly. (extreme example i agree haha)

With the power mine is producing, i dunno if i'd be confident trusting the stock brakes (well actually i musnt have been or i wouldnt have upgraded them :) )...ive had to brake a few times to avoid accidents both before and after the upgrade and whereas the stock ones locked up virtually straight away and sent me accross the road into the on coming lane (thanks to a van driver deciding as i came around a left hand blind corner to pull a U turn)...a less serious incident with the bigger brakes brought the car to a stop without a single lockup or squeak. Both of those were at 30mph btw.

I will say i was also intending on putting it on the track at some point...so i do have another reason for the brakes :)

But each to there own.

I understand what your saying mate but in this instance he won't be getting the type of power yours has
As I said my s14 ha gtr brakes because it's running 400bhp (ish) and they're coming to their limit now
It's horses for courses mate I'd guess 20bhp if he's lucky with a small basic tubby I don't reckon that will be a problem

And also in your defence on any other forum I'm a member of the very talk of upping bhp with out changing brakes would get me lynched I got bullied into the gtr brakes on sxoc lol but to be fair it did need some
I am always against saving a few quid by cutting corners and always sort the chassis before the power you wouldn't build a roof with out a house to put it on
It just in this instance When it will not be a massive ps increase I think he can get away with it and start saving for the brakes although it should be the other way round

lol, fair enough :) ...yeah i can only comment on my car (never been anywhere near another forced micra thats up and running). I do think you maybe suprised the difference a little boost makes ;) (I was lol)

As i think we've all said now (lol) it depends how the builder feels about it...one good thing, a quick test once its all fitted will let you know if you have to fit them or not.

Anyway...Anderson im sure theres plenty who can help you get sorted either in person or just from the info thats on here. :)

So back on topic, how have people done their turbo setup? from the ones ive seen, you havent gone and bought new parts and spent thousands. So come on how have you sourced your parts people!

Well if i remember you owe me a ride form when i took you to a meet in my red k11 when you were building the white one :D

So back on topic, how have people done their turbo setup? from the ones ive seen, you havent gone and bought new parts and spent thousands. So come on how have you sourced your parts people!

Get a list together of all the bits you need stick up a wanted ad check eBay check other sites that use the parts your after use breakers yards very easy to get parts mate

With regards to the brakes, when youve got a 150hp or upwards micra and going down crail. By the time your deciding to brake and your doing 100mph+ on stock brakes thats when you know you better upgrade. Normal road driving on stock brakes will be totally safe

Anderson my parts sourced from : Ebay, a couple of real shops, scrap yards, homemade, forum exchanges and lots of haggling. :)

You're probably right Ian :D -- i wasnt saying i could, but i wont btw lol

Back