How far do you commute to work?

jabran200

Ex. Club Member
I've just been made an offer for 52 week placement in Daventry (which I accepted).

I live in London so thats like 72 miles and about 1hr 40 (can not to do that everyday) by car doin 65ish in the micra lol.

I have two options really.

1. Rent a room nearby. Problem with this is that shops are far away like 10 miles or so from what I am told so some travel would be neccassry(sp).

2. Live at my sisters in West Bromwich. I would still be travelling 50ish miles each way which is about 1hr which isn't too bad as I drive to uni and that takes about 40 minutes each way (18miles)

How far do you commute? Is it worth it and do you regret/resent commuting?

Thanks, I know a lot of you guys are students but I'm sure there are older guys here.

I travel 14miles to then 14miles from work, so 28miles a day just for work, i know its not as much...

Basically ask yourself...am i getting paid enough to cover the fuel costs of living that far away?
Do i like driving? specially early morning im guessing...

Lol you lucky gits, Wish my work was so close.

I don't mind driving to be honest, I do long journeys to bradford, birmingham, manchester all the time so It's not that I hate driving. I actually find driving quite relaxing lol.

They are paying £14k so 11kish after taxes. If I travel It will cost about 2.5k ish. I think I lived out it would cost more as rent will be around £70 p/w and then I'd have to buy food and poss other bills.

Cash wise I actually think it would be cheaper driving as I am going to be on trade insurance. I'd only have road tax, m.o.t and service material costs.

I think I will atleast try commuting for first month or so and see how it goes.

I am still interested to see how far other people travel.

I am possibly taking another position in the company which would be a 31mile trip each way, which will be a bit of a change seeing as i've been working within walking distance of my house since i was 16!

id look at getting some diggs up there personally,

I would if it were longer but since its only a year. I am also trying to save some money as well so the cheaper option will always come up trumps lol. I'd be going back to Uni after that placement.

@ moddedmicra

It won't be that bad but its a fair bit. I am assmuning you'd be getting paid more? as there is going to be a big difference in travel costs obv.

@ moddedmicra

It won't be that bad but its a fair bit. I am assmuning you'd be getting paid more? as there is going to be a big difference in travel costs obv.

It would be enough more to cover travel costs and a little more, but i would be on salary so no overtime, its mainly as i want to get out of the shop where i am, and move up in the society at the same time.

I have a 15 minute walk to work

I could never waste hours of my day commuting. I value my time too much

25 miles (about 45 minutes) each way, I used to work from home so I'm still getting used to commuting again.
Thankfully the micra is so cheap to run/maintain, my Alfa Romeo was costing me about £200 just in petrol

I used to do 40 miles each way to work and back (~200 a week), and if the traffic was bad could sometimes take as long as 2 hours to get in! It was a complete nightmare, but I did it like that for the first few months, when I realised the job was a keeper I moved out of my parents to somewhere closer, now I only do 16 miles each way! :)

I'm doing Zero miles....cause I'm on a Ban :glare:

when I was driving it was about 7 miles which took 45 mins...I gave up the Job soon after and got a Job 1/2 a mile away and now use a bike. :doh:

About 18 miles a day to college. Only takes 25 minutes each way, which is nice. Worst part is getting out of exeter, unless I get the park and ride, which I do mostly.

If I get accepted for this apprentiship i applied for in yeovil, that'll be about 90 miles a day :eek:. An hour each way, on one of the worst roads in england.

i used to comute 600 miles a week...... ah good times..lol

Thats alot lol.

@ capnmchl

Would you not consider moving out lol? I think it would be cheaper in your case as even if I traver from london its 72 miles but I just can' go up the M1 with its average speed cams everyday. otherwise I could do it in 1hr lol.

I'm still not decided yet it starts in the last week of august so I have a fair bit of time to think about it.

A part of me says get a room but then I think whats the point if I am alone lol. I'd be bored out my head.

2.8 miles lol i can see my work out of my window and if its first thing in the morning thn it only takes me about 2-3 mins to get to work lol

Thats alot lol.

@ capnmchl

Would you not consider moving out lol? I think it would be cheaper in your case as even if I traver from london its 72 miles but I just can' go up the M1 with its average speed cams everyday. otherwise I could do it in 1hr lol.

I'm still not decided yet it starts in the last week of august so I have a fair bit of time to think about it.

A part of me says get a room but then I think whats the point if I am alone lol. I'd be bored out my head.

My first year would be at college full time, so I won't have the money to move out. I will have money for petrol though, from various sources. However, in my second year, I start getting a decent wage from it, so hopefully I can afford to rent a room or flat somewhere.

Arnold: I wish i had that option :(.

used to do 45 mile each way for work. Now im down to 32 with my new job. But still over 60 per day! baaaaaaaah :(

30 miles in total a day, not too bad but brum traffic is one of the worst so a single journey of 15 miles can take up to one hour to complete in the morning.

i would highly recommend you to live close to your workplace otherwise you'll have to wake up way too early every morning and you'll feel like poo! lol

i do 42 miles to uni, and 42 miles back 5 days a week, so thats... *5 minites later* 420! commuting miles.

I used to do 25 miles to and from work. (50 miles a day). Cost just under £200 a month and used to get abit annoying eventually.... I think thats one hell of a drive your going to have to do everyday and you might find you'll have no time for yourself.

Back