how do you refurbish alloys?

johnhum

Buy & Sell Member
hi all, i was thinking that over the summer i might refurbish and respray my alloys myself, theyre looking a bit tatty with gouges on a couple of the spokes and the average kurbing marks on the outer rims. I was just wondering what you use to fill the gouges/kurb marks before you sand back and respray. Do you need proper wheel stuff like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-E-TECH-AL...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item19b834b0f3

or can you just use normal filler?

Also, when i come to spray them will i just use the standard 2 layers of primer, 2 layers of paint and 2 layers of laquer or will i have to do it differently since they will be refurbished?
Thanks, John

what you need to do it properly is to send blast them (no tyres on if you were thinking that). fill or repair curbing, then use alloy wheel paint.

thanks mate, but not sure if i can do that. i just want them looking a bit better, even if i just get the scrapes on the spokes sorted out. ill just have to see what i can get done

you could try to send them down a little but i think it would be to difficult go through all spokes and curves (tried it). then you can always fill some bits and have it powder coated (more durable but more £££). I wouldnt recommend using normal automotive paint off the shelf (tried it). gonna get stone chips everywhere!

thanks mate. i think ill just give them to a guy i know who does refurbs in his garage. i was just wondering if they could be done for cheaper by myself. i wont bother now

Back