Do you show up as insured?

markbognor

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
This just cropped up on another forum I use. Ithought it look useful, so now its here too.

http://www.askmid.com/ownvehicle/

Enter your reg to check that your vehical shows up on the Motor Industry Database - The same one that plod use when anpr-ing you and one of the checks they do while sitting behind you making you sweat after getting a tug.

If you dont show up, either your are not as insured as you thought you were, or you insurance company are being lame and haven't yet updated your details.

Thats awesome!
I've checked all my previous cars and there all still on the road!
Even the original micra shape that was rusting away when I sold it about 2 years ago now!

HEAR!! mark, thanks, youve just saved me nuts big time,

So the story goes, i thot i was insured with bell on the micra turns out i havent been insuerd since may. !!! they totaly ######d it and acuallt insured me under "M248BSU" not the correct "M428BSU"
so they had insued a volvo estate car as a micra super s. you can imagine the ammount of mess this has made.
On my cirtificate of insurance it says "m248bsu" (wrong reg) as being a micra superS. so i lost the plot at them when they wanted £15 to change the rege to the right one, why would i insure a volvo??? Told him to jump, got a superviser, he sayd he would half the charge, i said id half him.
he eventually dropped the charge after me relly loosing it with them.
so its all changed now and will be updated tonight and ill have the right documents in the morning or heads are gunna roll.

And see to top it all off, the daft cow at the post office has wrote M424BSU" On my tax disc, so im going to sort that just now.

End of the day i should have checked all this when i got my paper work ect i know this, but how can the system get twisted that bad. like i shouldnt have been able to tax the car in the first place if it wasnt insured, so why did that not get checked???

So thanks mark for your random post, mite have saved me BIG time!!! :D:D:D

Pretty sad news as my old K10 (also speedle's) Doesnt show up so im guessing K10Franny has written it off :(

You can do existence checks through the DVLA website, to see if a car is due for renewal or taxed/sorn'd. I haven't got the link to that at hand.

Haha great - just tried my car on the Doovla, and tax runs out 1/1/10! That'll be fun renewing that! :down:

You could have looked on the passenger side of your windscreen and see the same anwser :p

Don't be silly, I'm a woman, I never look there! ;)

Admittedly I haven't looked lol... I never seem to look down that side. Apparently my friend has wrote 'cleaned by the NHS' on my car's dirty flanks, but I sure ain't seen it yet!

Thats a good website, my cars come up but the van is showing as a no no. I'll have to ring the insurance in the morning.

I got insurance just yesterday, and its not showing up. How long does it take for the insurance companys to update the database?.

There is a set time period within which your insurance company must have sent the information for the database to be updated. I can't remeber exactly what it is though. Probably best to keep a copy of your new documents about your person (not left in your car!) for a bit. If you get a tug plod will be aware that the database is not updated immediately and probably be more than happy with the paper copies.

Its best not to leave 'em in the car modded, if the car gets pinched thats an instant identity for them to use - obviously they would have to find them, but if they did it would make it much easier for them to get away with the theft of your ride, even if they were stopped.

the docs dont contain anything they couldnt find out easily enough. and being photocopies there is nothing they can actually do with them anyway.

I paid for insurance yesterday morning, still showing up as uninsured. Think they have a week to show up on the database. As soon as my policy documents come through the post I'll start keeping a copy in my bike jacket/ wallet. I'm not going anywhere til I have a certificate though as I don't trust insurance companies.

Found this bit of info:

With effect from 1 January 2008, the compliance requirements for the Motor Insurance Database (MID) will be changing. Insurers’ will be required to submit data to the MID within 7 days, a significant reduction from the current 14 day requirement.

Got my insurance certificate today, and also the car is now on the database. So it was about 4 days in all for it to be on the database

Back