High Idle (searching idle)

Hi peeps,
Since the weather has been cold my idle has become very uneven. I remeber it was like this last winter but then seemed to sort itself (must have just been that the weather warmed up)
Now, what happens is the car will idle at about 2k, then drop and shoot back up then drop the raise, basicly its all over the place. Like the ecu is trying to stabilise the idle but cant for some reason, then if i take the car for a long drive and get it nice and warm/hot it will idle around 2-2.5k constantly. Im guessing its a sensor that's not working or perhaps the IACV.
just wondering if anyone has experienced similar before i go checking all the sensors and replacing the IACV.
cheers.

mine will hunt up and down if the idle is set too high ed, (and mine has no idle control valve fitted :eek: mine is manually controlled by a valve on the dash)
so my guess is that the ecu is searching for the base ignition timing (unsuccessfully lol)
http://www.nissanforums.com/ga16de-1-6l-engine/163899-timing-issue.html#post1326337
thanks for that, il read that link over again in the morning when my brain is working... :) its not making all that much sense atm.
just read it again, so this should reset the 'base timing'? and hopefully allow the ecu to get the correct timing. thinking about it, the car does misfire slightly on idle, could be to do with poor timing i guess.

Only just got round to doing the above proceedure. My timing was well out! so iv set it again and the idle speed, hopefully this will solve the problem. thanks again frank!

Back