hi new to the forum need help please

hi i have just been givern a 2001 51 plate micra i believe it is a 1.4 s

the problem is that when you put your foot on the brake pedal the side lights come on aswell (front and back of the car)
when i turn the side lights on the brake lights come on aswell

has any one had this problem? i would be gratefull for any help

One of the rear brake bulbs may be put in wrong, Take the brake bulbs out and check they are in the right place.

The brake light circiuts are usually constant live. This problem is quite obscure. Although personally id go through process of elimination starting with your light switch stalk. then remove the rear panels and check for loose wiring. Was the car in an accident?

hi thank you for your help i am not 100% sure if it has been in a accident as it is a ex driving instructors car what should i check for? could it be a earth? if so where are the earths located

hi spike

if it was an earth problem, i think the 1st lights would dim when the others were switched on (either way) and there are probably more than one earth

1. Make sure that the Brake & Side light bulbs are twin filament, if you have a single filament bulb in there it could be touching both contacts.

2. It may have duff bulbs.

3. try removing the rear Stop/tail bulbs press yuor brake if your front sidelights don't come on then there is a fault at the backend somewhere.

seen this problem in a couple of cars, someone has put a bog standard single filament bulb in the place of a stop and tail buld, as ed said take out the brake light bulbs and check that they are stop and tail. if there not then change them.

hi thanks for all your help it does have the stop tail bulbs in i have messed around with the bulb holders today and they are now working correctly took it for a drive round the block and it looks like it is over heating does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

What makes you think it is overheating? I presume you have checked the water level, and that its not blowing smoke.

yes the water level is fine and its not blowing smoke
the temprature gage goes in to the red and the bloke who gave it to me said it overheated and cut out on him
is there any common folts with them?

spike

if the thermostat is stuck shut, the coolant will flow through the heater only, so if the rad pipes are cool, it might be that eh ?
is the rad fan kicking in btw ?

frank

thanks again havent had chance to check yet as the car is parked at my parents. the fan does kick in tho.
i will updata as soon as i have checked

Buddy do you have HOT air coming through the heaters? If not you have an airlock. To solve this: run the car till its quite warm run the heaters after 10mins, then very carefully open the rad cap. Make sure you have a damp cloth to open thy cap with because it will protect you from burns and soak up the pressurised steam. Try it.

spike

if the thermostat is stuck shut, the coolant will flow through the heater only, so if the rad pipes are cool, it might be that eh ?
is the rad fan kicking in btw ?

i have checked the hoses today and the hose comeing out the bulk head (for the heating) gets very hot but the top hose for the radiator gets slightly warm and the bottom hose stays cold.
would this mean that the thermostat is ######d?
also if it has been driven like this could it have done more damage?

thanks again frank very helfull

spike

in theory, the top rad hose should be as hot as the heater pipe when the thermostat is open, and the top rad hose, too hot to hold, after about 5 miles
if it has,nt boiled over, i doubt there,s any damage done

spike

in theory, the top rad hose should be as hot as the heater pipe when the thermostat is open, and the top rad hose, too hot to hold, after about 5 miles
if it has,nt boiled over, i doubt there,s any damage done

what about the bottom hose it is stone cold
im not 100% if it has boiled over or not
but the bloke i had it off said it cut out on him so i presume it proberly did

sounds like the radiator is blocked, or the thermostat is closed, or even the water pump.

none of these are major jobs and can be done in an afternoon.
but you need to stop driving it until the problem is found. starting the car will only make a problem worse.

sounds like the radiator is blocked, or the thermostat is closed, or even the water pump.

none of these are major jobs and can be done in an afternoon.
but you need to stop driving it until the problem is found. starting the car will only make a problem worse.

the car hasnt been driven on the road since i picked it up only started 3 times to investigate.

im going to flush the radiator through 2day and see how it goes
if that doesnt solve it i will get a new thermostat and fit that
and if all else fails new water pump

now all sorted washed the radiator out and removed the thermostat in no longer over heats
thanks for all your help

Back