New to forum......but problem

Hi, new to forum but have read many posts prior.
I've got a 53 1.4 petrol K12. Use to run like a dream but slowly, very slowly causing me a few issues.
Bought it with 195/55/r15 wheels and alloys, looks good but because of size the speedo claims I am going between 3 to 5 miles faster than I am actually travelling and as you can imagine its adding additional miles on to clock!
I'm not a mechanic at all but willing to get my hands dirty.......Haynes manual just a little bit difficult to understand at times, so far have been able to change the radio, not easy especially when halfords gave up! Fix the passenger seat spring mechanism, fit the front sidelight bulb, easy? Not on your life. Had the problem with wipers coming on all the time, managed to narrow it down to washer pump motor that needed drying out and sealing.
But I really hope I haven't got the CHAIN ISSUE......ok, no warnings lights....but I have what seems to be a screeching, no it's the whirling dervish of screeching, wailing that's becoming embarrassing! Always happens in the wet or damp, I even avoid water on the road on the right hand side! Don't get me wrong I live in rural area so that's easy enough to do, I've scoured this site and Internet and it could be the alt aux belts... I've had the wheel and trim off before so that doesn't bother me, but would it be easier to get a garage to look at the belts or try myself?
Oh and just another thing, are the pads and brakes easy enough to do? once managed to do it on my old corsa.
Also have had the the air warning bag light problem, solved with turn on turn off scenario. It's got to be a fault with wiring underneath the seat because it always comes back when the missus adjusts the seat. Anyway, look forward to some good conversation and hopefully expert advice

Screeching is probably due to a loose belt just slipping a bit, does it happen more in the wet?

They're usually pretty simple to do :)

Back