Help !! Is my Micra is dying - Gearbox whine symptoms

Hi guys,

Nice forum - Has a good reputation around the web :)

I think my Micras dying.

I have a major problem with my K11 facelift 2002 1.0s Micra, 60k miles.

There is a rattly cog type high pitched grinding/rubbing type noise resonating from my gear lever, almost sounds like a blender motor.
Happens with clutch in/out and when the car is moving.

Whilst driving I could touch the gear lever and move it around and which makes the note of the noise change tremedously.

I can put it in a specific position and the noise will decrease significantly.

I tried it on coasting when doing 50Mph - I stick it in neutral car rolling but no change to high pitched noise???

Sometimes its impossible to find 3rd gear and at other times its smooth.

Car engages in gear ok most times and I know the gear linkage is a bit floppy.

Biting point is very low to the floor.

The fact that it happens in neutral gives me a little false hope that it might not be the box? (in denial lol)??

Input shaft Bearing?

Low oil? Need to check.

Clutch release bearing?

Any pointers most appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

Its more of a hollow scraping resonating kind of sound, pushing the cluth in or putting it in neutral whilst driving along makes no difference.

Moving the gearstick a bit whilst in the same gear makes it quieter or louder dependant on which way its pushed. I did search and went through lots of threads, a member who wrote his off (Blue Micra GDT plate) had a similiar issue but cant find the thread for the life of me.

Thanks

No that's fair enough, these things are hard to pinpoint without being there.

Going to check oil level.

Going to check bearing play - Just in case its travelling through the chassis and out at the gear lever end.

Will report back to aid others in future searches or if I get a recording.

hi there I wil lift it on axle stands and turn both left and right wheel checking if it makes a noise or cranking, grinder sound, if yes it can be drive shafts, bushes, if it don't then I'll try gearbox oil, gear linkage bushes, any think that is playing up is really to go under the car while someone changes gear in car, might be even clucth. Cable needs adjusting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Azzydot

Good pointers there mate, I will try that for sure.

Driveshafts - That would make more sense on the assumption that cogs in the gearbox are disengaged and not turning whilst I put in neutral at 50mph and still get the churning, but on the other hand would the driveshaft whilst in neutral and coasting turn cogs in the gearbox, hmmm

Cheers Azzydot

Driveshafts - That would make more sense on the assumption that cogs in the gearbox are disengaged and not turning whilst I put in neutral at 50mph and still get the churning, but on the other hand would the driveshaft whilst in neutral and coasting turn cogs in the gearbox, hmmm
When my car was doing 30 it made a chrunching sound then it goes soon as it's in netrual then it was a drive shaft so changed it and was normal again

Cheers Azzydot

even can try clucth slave or gearbox bearings as when it's in netrual parts in gearbox still move around making this sound

the very low clutch biting point seems to suggest too much slack in the cable.
this causes the release bearing, cable brackets and pedal system to be fully loose and rattling about when the pedal is fully released.
the sloppy release bearing would then be allowed to spring back and barely hover just above the diaphram, which causes it to kinda touch/skip on the diaphram fingers every revolution n rattle.
adjust the cable till the bite point is half way.

if the gearbox whine pitch is directly related to engine rev, even when stationary in neutral, and gets louder with torque load, it could be a worn input shaft bearing and/or low gearbox oil.
check oil level.

the very low clutch biting point seems to suggest too much slack in the cable.
this causes the release bearing, cable brackets and pedal system to be fully loose and rattling about when the pedal is fully released.
the sloppy release bearing would then be allowed to spring back and barely hover just above the diaphram, which causes it to kinda touch/skip on the diaphram fingers every revolution n rattle.
adjust the cable till the bite point is half way.

if the gearbox whine pitch is directly related to engine rev, even when stationary in neutral, and gets louder with torque load, it could be a worn input shaft bearing and/or low gearbox oil.
check oil level.
I was thinking same it's the shaft folks, bearing or oil causing this

yep I'd try the easy stuff first before taking the gearbox out.
so the first before tensioning the cable end, would be to just apply a very light touch to the clutch pedal to take up the slack and see if the rattling goes down. if yes then tension the cable till the bite is half way.

then while the cars on a level floor, remove the speedo gear out the gearbox and use the engine oil dipstick in the hole as a gearbox dipstick cos the max level are exactly the same (for a 1.3 anyway)

Hi -Not had a chance to check yet, its been chucking it down, freezing cold, pitch black when I get home, and I have no garage. I will get round to it once I have space outside my house. I will definately update this thread once I progress, thanks for asking though. I seriously cannot wait for Summer, cant even remember what it feels like to have some heat and sun lol

Hi -Not had a chance to check yet, its been chucking it down, freezing cold, pitch black when I get home, and I have no garage. I will get round to it once I have space outside my house. I will definately update this thread once I progress, thanks for asking though.
It's ok am here to help

An update as promised;

Checked the oil from filler bolt and it started dripping slighly on level ground out of the hole so that seems fine.

Jacked it up and went through the gears and noise was still there no change at.

Adjusted clutch cable and clutch feels better but noise still there (im going to adjust even more and see if it makes a difference)

Greased up gear linkage and now feels better.

Ive lost the patience now, going to flog it with the fault disclosed. Anyone want a project :oops: for £650. Is that a fair price to expect considering it needs a repair to rear bumper corner.

An update as promised;

Checked the oil from filler bolt and it started dripping slighly on level ground out of the hole so that seems fine.

Jacked it up and went through the gears and noise was still there no change at.

Adjusted clutch cable and clutch feels better but noise still there (im going to adjust even more and see if it makes a difference)

Greased up gear linkage and now feels better.

Ive lost the patience now, going to flog it with the fault disclosed. Anyone want a project :oops: for £650. Is that a fair price to expect considering it needs a repair to rear bumper corner.
have u checked your release bearings ? That can make a funny noise

Sent from my iPhone using T

Release bearing - Clutch depression has absolutely no impact on noise but moving the stick definitely does, either way its a gearbox out job and given the weather and space issue id rather get rid - Just want to say a BIG THANKS to you guys for the pointers, if anything I take away some knowledge.

moving the stick alters the noise?
if its hard to engage 1st, 2nd and it rattles in 5th at certain rpm, check if the gear linkage bushes aint worn loose and rattling about

yea prob. so when you keep pushing the stick into that selected gear, the worn selector fork fingers are pressing metal/metal on the groove of the sleeve coupling

Thanks both, yes ripped out heat shield and greased up selector, fixed hanging spring and checked all bushings, sounds like its coming from inside, you can hear like cogs churning like a little electric motor. Can't be asked in this weather, shame otherwise lovely reliable engines. The newer stuff gets the less reliable they get, not like the old proper jap stuff from the nineties hey. Use to have a 93 Micra once upon a time and besides rust the thing was lovely to drive and bulletproof. Cheers guys anyway, you've all been great.

Back