help with setting timing!

K

keithmachon

heyy, this is my first post here!

anyways, i was wondering if any1 knows the position to set my timing belt.. as it seemed to of slipped and i dont want to put it on wrong and beld all my valved.. ide assume TDC but.. thats messed me up before. can any1 plz help me

For the 4 gear manual its 2 deg plus or minus 1 degree at Idle (bout 750-1000 rpm). Remember to disconnect the distributer vacuum hose.

If its any other model its 5 degrees -+ 1 deg.

TDC would muller up most engines wouldent it?

Hi Keith
I was recently faced with the daunting task of putting a belt on.. with accompanying visions of the valves mangling. In the event I just followed the Haynes manual and used the timing marks on the cam shaft wheel and fly wheel as instructed and this eliminated the most serious potential problem. As for the subtle settings... Hmmm well I am sorry to say that my timing light was knacked so I essentially started off with the distributor in its original position and just tapped it ever so slightly this way and that until I was happy with the idle note, acceleration, and pulling power on hills. Er.. then tightened it up. After a few hundred miles I did a quick check of plug colour as a possible indicator of overheating but things were fine so I left it. Primitive yes.. but I don't really believe it is that critical if you aren't intending some kind of hyper performance activity. Otherwise.. if you do have a functioning timing light.. well you are fine!

does anybody have a picture of the timing setup for my 89 auto? ive looked for the haynes manual but there doesnt seem to be any around. a picture would greatly help cuz i dont know which marks to even go from, theres quite a few. thanks

Back