Water in the passenger footwell

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
Help!

i've got water comming in somewhere and collecting in the passenger footwell. i'm sure other people have had this problem but i can't find anything in the search :(

does anyone know how to sort it? because its raining and the floor is rusting!! i hate rust!!

thanks ppl :D

duuno if micras have it but if it was a focus id say check the scutter pannel(plastic bit along bottom of the windscreen) did 4 of these in one day at ford

paul_k10_Lx said:
duuno if micras have it but if it was a focus id say check the scutter pannel(plastic bit along bottom of the windscreen) did 4 of these in one day at ford

thanks mate, i'll give it a try,

ollie this is the 1.6 micra, it doesn't have a sun roof :down:

ollie240585 said:
OK then, have you closed the passenger window ??

lol, yep all windows closed,

there could be a problem with the front window seam and there is a hole in the floor of the car but unless water can fall upwards i don't think this is it...

water leeks throgh the middel of the door on my punto if that helps...... try taking that pannel thing off inside and havin a look there....

Your car may be a phenomenom in the Fabric of the Space Time Continuem, where laws of time and gravity do not exist, and therefore water could theoretically fall up!!!

ollie240585 said:
Your car may be a phenomenom in the Fabric of the Space Time Continuem, where laws of time and gravity do not exist, and therefore water could theoretically fall up!!!

LMAO or there could be a wee hole or a seal broken:S lolol

yes, it could also be a hole or a broken seal. Or someone being childish and filling your car up with water to make you paranoid!!

thanks ppl :)

will have to have a look behind the dash :D

the door has no door cards on it and there is no water coming in from there...

I recon if it isn't the windscreen seal then it will probably have something to do with that plastic gutter between the bottom of the windscreen and the top of the bonnet...

Also check that your car "as commented earlier" is not a phenomenom in the Fabric of the Space Time Continuem. To check this go to 88 mphs and then the flux capacitor will transport you to another region in time, and all will be wonderful again :D

ollie240585 said:
Also check that your car "as commented earlier" is not a phenomenom in the Fabric of the Space Time Continuem. To check this go to 88 mphs and then the flux capacitor will transport you to another region in time, and all will be wonderful again :D

ah yes that might be it, if i work on the car i seem to go forward in time because even little jobs take for ever lol :)

what i would be is go back in time to before rust was invented :D

Just go forward in time to where someone has made a massively powerful engine which is the size of a watch, then put that in the Micra!!!!

ollie's lost the plot, but that is a good idea, i'm waiting for when i travel back in time to now to give me the time machine i'll invent in the future

Right, I had the exact same problem over a year ago, and eventually managed to sort it after trying to find the source of the problem (I removed the whole dash, carpet, etc, etc, etc)........

It's kind of a design flaw really. Right, you need to do the following:

Remove the scuttle panel underneath the windscreen wipers, you will then have access to the interior air intake, etc.

What I found is that the seal around the clip holders for this scuttle panel had gone (specifically the clip holder directly above the hole for the interior air intake, on the passanger side of the car). As water ran down underneath the scuttle panel, it got through this clip hole (metal hole in the car bodywork), dripped directly down from here into the interior air intake, and dripped through the motor assembly and down into the passanger footwell.

I also found the water running along the air ducting from the motor/air intake section, and dripping down further along where there were foam seals between the plastic air duct sections (i.e. dripping down nearer the centre console). The water also found its way down behind the carpet from this hole, which meant that the carpet and foam underneath was soaked when I'd lifted it up!

I also found water coming through past the green windscreen level plastics (under the scuttle panel again, I had some green pieces of plastic at the bottom of the windscreen). The water would drip through the one above the air intake, and again, directly down into the car interior......

What I basically did was remove the problematic scuttle panel clip holder, and use roof flashing tape and a heat gun to properly seal the hole up. One clip removed wont affect the scuttle panel security. I also put a bit of flashing tape over the green windscreen clip, to seal the leak.

I had tried silicone previously, but the water still found its way through. Therefore I 'didnt' have to remove the dash (although I fitted the alarm at the same time), and you wont have to either!

Basically, remove the scuttle panel, pour some water onto the right hand side of the cars windscreen, let it run down and see if you can feel drips coming through underneath this metal section (stick your hand in the metal ducting). If you do, theres your problem! It'll drip directly down into the cars interior.

Mine has now been try/leak free for over 2 years.

Hope that helps :)

Edit: I thought it was the windscreen seal at first, but it isnt!

ollie240585 said:
Yes I will admit I have actually cracked and lost the plot. I would say it's the stress of work, but I don't do anything!!

LMAO yea i don't do anything either ;)

Retepetsir said:
Right, I had the exact same problem over a year ago, and eventually managed to sort it after trying to find the source of the problem (I removed the whole dash, carpet, etc, etc, etc)........

It's kind of a design flaw really. Right, you need to do the following:

Remove the scuttle panel underneath the windscreen wipers, you will then have access to the interior air intake, etc.

What I found is that the seal around the clip holders for this scuttle panel had gone (specifically the clip holder directly above the hole for the interior air intake, on the passanger side of the car). As water ran down underneath the scuttle panel, it got through this clip hole (metal hole in the car bodywork), dripped directly down from here into the interior air intake, and dripped through the motor assembly and down into the passanger footwell.

I also found the water running along the air ducting from the motor/air intake section, and dripping down further along where there were foam seals between the plastic air duct sections (i.e. dripping down nearer the centre console). The water also found its way down behind the carpet from this hole, which meant that the carpet and foam underneath was soaked when I'd lifted it up!

I also found water coming through past the green windscreen level plastics (under the scuttle panel again, I had some green pieces of plastic at the bottom of the windscreen). The water would drip through the one above the air intake, and again, directly down into the car interior......

What I basically did was remove the problematic scuttle panel clip holder, and use roof flashing tape and a heat gun to properly seal the hole up. One clip removed wont affect the scuttle panel security. I also put a bit of flashing tape over the green windscreen clip, to seal the leak.

I had tried silicone previously, but the water still found its way through. Therefore I 'didnt' have to remove the dash (although I fitted the alarm at the same time), and you wont have to either!

Basically, remove the scuttle panel, pour some water onto the right hand side of the cars windscreen, let it run down and see if you can feel drips coming through underneath this metal section (stick your hand in the metal ducting). If you do, theres your problem! It'll drip directly down into the cars interior.

Mine has now been try/leak free for over 2 years.

Hope that helps :)

Edit: I thought it was the windscreen seal at first, but it isnt!

kinda the same prob's the focus had but it was the seal to the windscreen not the clips required removing the pannel then using butle(sp) tape to re seal it

Cheers Retepetsir as i have the exact same problem

Im still meaning to fix it. Also check behind the left wing, as sometimes the water that is soaked up in the firewall insulation fibre will rust a hole behind the metal body (not the wing, the pieace behind the wing), when i get time i'll post a pic of the rust hole. Just use fibreglass to seal it up, and a hairdryer to dry the underneath of the wet carpet.

Just to add that I have exactly the same thing going on with my car. Will be trying the stuff mentioned on this thread when I get chance :)

Also check the heater matrix, these have been known to leak, although this usually results in the ECU being transformed into a useless box of bits. Still worth a look if you're going to be routing around in the footwells.

Low Rider said:
Also check the heater matrix, these have been known to leak, although this usually results in the ECU being transformed into a useless box of bits. Still worth a look if you're going to be routing around in the footwells.

That normally smells of antifreeze though doesnt it? Not good tho :wow:

did you get drunk one night, get locked out your house broke into your car fall asleep wake up and not know where you are and p1ssed yourself while sat in your passenger footwell shaking wondering how ugly she was?

hughes_16v said:
did you get drunk one night, get locked out your house broke into your car fall asleep wake up and not know where you are and p1ssed yourself while sat in your passenger footwell shaking wondering how ugly she was?

lololol does that happen to you alot??

Cracking I have the exact same leak problem (not the p*ssing myself in the footwell) Will be trying whats been metioned as soon as possible as it just seems to be gettin worse and worse.

Back