Handbrake

CMF_ed.

» CMF Member
Does anyone know where the switch for the handbrake light is?
My handbrake light is on all the time. Handbrake still works as normal though.

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Might not be the handbrake. Could be the same problem I had a few weeks ago and posted about.
There is a switch below the brake fluid reservoir. It's supposed to come on with low fluid or brake problems.
In my car the switch was faulty and handbrake light stayed on all the time.
Test it by pulling the plug at the fluid reservoir. If that is your problem then the light will go but still come on when you pull the handbrake on.

Mychael

CMF_JKL

» CMF Member
Take the lid of the brake fluid resivoir and make sure the float isnt stuck, also, just make sure you have fluid.
The handbrake switch is at the base or the leaver and is simmilar to you door light switch.. Sometimes crap gets on the contacts and needs to be cleaned off. Aslo the switch may have popped out of the bracket its mounted in. Just below the lever.

CMF_ed.

» CMF Member
Looks to be low on fluid.
I know it's not good to mix different brands of fluids but is it ok to put in anothe dot4 until monday/tuesday next week when I get time to completely flush and re-do the brakes?

CMF_ed.

» CMF Member
Looks like my diagnosis was WRONG.
Had a look in broad daylight and brake fluid level is good.

Can anyone describe in more detail about the sensor that gets stuck?

JKL, hey mate I emailed you about the stocko sussy.

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
Well if it's not the float and the fluid level is okay and you've checked the handbrake lever switch.
Then best way to test the switch is to remove the plug connector from under the brake fluid reservoir/master cylinder. It's between the two. A bit hard to see but just follow the wires in, you'll feel a plug, just the normal snap connector type. Disconect that and see if the light goes out.

Mike

CMF_ed.

» CMF Member
mipcar WROTE:

"Might not be the handbrake. Could be the same problem I had a few weeks ago and posted about.

There is a switch below the brake fluid reservoir. It's supposed to come on with low fluid or brake problems.

In my car the switch was faulty and handbrake light stayed on all the time.

Test it by pulling the plug at the fluid reservoir. If that is your problem then the light will go but still come on when you pull the handbrake on.

Mychael

After putting in a new battery (old one died while I was in Coffs) I tested by removing the plug and the light went away. So does this mean the switch is stuck?

How did you fix this JKL?

Ed

CMF_mipcar

» CMF Member
I cannot answer that as yet. I've purchased a new switch but have yet to try removing the old one. They must come out as I bought the new bit but it's not obvious how. I think you might need to remove the brake master cylinder to do the job on a bench.

Mychael

CMF_JKL

» CMF Member
Sounds like the switch is stuck or internal return spring has broken. You can remove and inspect first (it may be just stuck), but if its in the body of the master cylinder you will have to bleed the brakes.
I checked online for a clear photo but couldn't locate a good enough pic to see the M/Cyl and resevour assembly.
Ill have a look at mine tomorrow and let you know. - Unless someone else comes up with the answer sooner.

Back