hydraulic handbrake?

CMF_carlos_fergando

» CMF Member
whats the benefits of one? i heard of them on rally cars.

and i see them on ebay going really cheap. Does it just mean that the handbrake is sharper for track use etc.

i suppose the handbrake clips onto the cable via some catch and has a hydraulic cyclinder between the handle and cable.

seems interesting might invest in one, am i right?

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Hydraulic handbrakes replace the entire cable system and use hydraulic fluid instead (similar to the front/rear footbrake system)

Yes it is very responsive, but also alot more prone to locking up the rear wheels.

Sean

cisco

» CMF Member
Great for motorsport.

No point on the street, I think they are illegal. Probably could be engineered though.

"but also alot more prone to locking up the rear wheels. " - that's probably why you would want to install one :)

CMF_imutluay

» CMF Member
I convert the rear drums to discs and put a hydraulic handbrake to my rally Micra.

One of the best improvement of this change is; brake lines go inside the car which prevents damaging them on gravel roads.

Brake pressure on rear when you hold the handbrake much much more improved.

Front/Rear brake balance is a very critical thing to solve in this change, because when you put the front Micra calipers to rear, because of the big cylinders & the big brake pads which are designed for use on front, rear brake pressure is critically high which results in locking the rear wheels when you brake. We solve this problem hardly putting 2 serial brake proportioning valves and also cutting the brake pads.

I think it's illegal in road use and also not a very practical thing in roads.

The disadvantages in road use;
1) The standard proportioning valve which on the rear axle automaticly adjusts brake balance when there is more weight on rear.

2)Brake lines go inside the car which is not a practical thing that when you're getting rid of the air in the brake system which results brake fluid goes inside the car, I think this is one of the main reasons car manufacturers insist on placing the brake lines outside the car.

3)You can't hold the handbrake when you parked (This problem can be solved)

Back