Handbrake Warning Light

Since we have had the cold weather my handbrake warning light stays on (even when the handbrake is fully off) I have tried the usual rocking it on the handbrake to get the light to switch off and dumping the handbrake down hard but it doesnt appear to have worked. The handbrake still functions properley as in will hold the car on steep hill(s) but it just seems the light is playing silly ######s.

Does anyone have any idea on how to remedy this? Is it worth me tighting the handbrake up (and if so is there a quicker way than how the haynes explains) Or could it just be a loose fuse or wire causing the light to stay on?

All help appreciated it's bugging me now when it gets dark!

Since we have had the cold weather my handbrake warning light stays on (even when the handbrake is fully off) I have tried the usual rocking it on the handbrake to get the light to switch off and dumping the handbrake down hard but it doesnt appear to have worked. The handbrake still functions properley as in will hold the car on steep hill(s) but it just seems the light is playing silly ######s.

Does anyone have any idea on how to remedy this? Is it worth me tighting the handbrake up (and if so is there a quicker way than how the haynes explains) Or could it just be a loose fuse or wire causing the light to stay on?

All help appreciated it's bugging me now when it gets dark!

sounds like the greese on the switch has gotten a bit stiffer in the cold. lift the handbrake and spray in some WD40 underneith, you should be able to see the switch. the switch makes contact with ground to turn on the light, so either the switch is stuck, or the wire has come loose, but thats the first place to check i think

as they said above check front pads see how far they are worn down if they are low it takes more fluid for them to make contact with the disk which pulls fluid out of the reservoir and to the break carriers which turns the (i) light on as the fluid is too low

Back