Handbrake Light

RedRocket1

Club Member (Trial)
Just after popping out to get a chippy and noticed my handbrake light is staying on while driving, obviously i checked to see if it was off properly and it was.

So does this mean my brakes will need re-newed or is it something to do with the cable?

Or even because my cars been lowered but thats been for ages now and this just happened today.

Cheers for any help in advance(Y)

mike

I love Ed!!!!
Your handbrake light is showing you have low brake fluid which inturn means that your brake pads/discs are worn down. It is extremely rare for you to have low fluid and good brakes so please ignore the people that will post in this thread just telling you to top up your brakes.

The most important things on your car bar none are you brakes, tyres and suspension. Take care of them and the car will take care of you.

Mike

OP
OP
RedRocket1

RedRocket1

Club Member (Trial)
So are you saying I need new brakes then? I would have checked my haynes but its dissapeared.
Can my brakes be machined or are completely new ones needed now?
Sorry if im asking obvious questions, im far from being a mechanic haha

pollyp

Club Member
i believe mike means remove each wheel and check how much brake pad material is left by looking over the brake caliper inspection gap and see if the groove that runs down the middle of each pad is still there.
if you have rear drums it's a little trickier to check so refer to a haynes if stuck.

if the pads are worn with less than 1mm groove left, replace em.
be careful when pushin the caliper piston back in, for the thicker new pads, that you check the master cylinder fluids not overflowing. pump the brakes to seat the pistons to the pads then check that ur brake fluid level is just below max.

if the pads are ok, top up the master cylinder upto max. but if it continues to go down over a short period, check for leaks.