Handbrake - too much side movement

Micra 110

Site Supporter
I noticed today that the Handbrake wobbles from side to side quite a bit, is their a fix for this or would i have to acquire another from a donor car?

cheers :)

Ignore it and it'll go away :)

Nah seriously try taking the cowling off (but be gentle) and check the bolts are all tightened up, they might have worked loose.

Checked all the bolts and they're all tight. Found out that it's the Rivets which are very worn...might just replace the Rivets with some small bolts and some spacers, whether that's legal or not i don't know but it would be alot better than whats on there.

The problem with some Drivers is that they pull the Handbrake up and towards themselves as if they're in a Tank! lol!
This particular car has had 5 owners and has done 103000 miles so it is to be expected although i'm glad there's still some teeth left on the rachet. :)

well im the 4th owner of mine and its just turned over to 65000, previous owner must have been heavy handed

me, it does my head in when people dont, the clicking goes through me.

amen to that! you wrote exactly what i was thinking :)

as for the rivets, could it be worth blocking one side and hammering / gunning the other before you fork out for a replacement? Chances are the shanks are worn but it could help a little.

please remember i cant remember what the assembly is like, so this could do more damage than good :wasntme: also if you've not rivetted before I wouldnt recommend it...................

Back