Handbrake adjustment

Alright troops.
A few months back I had to replace the rear wheel bearings on my 1.2 Spirita. While doing so I noticed the brake shoes were wearing unevenly so I replaced them too. This was not fun.
The weird twisty arm thingy at the top of the brake drum in between the shoes is the work of Satan, obviously designed by Mr Rubik in one of his darker moods.
After 3 days of scraped knuckles and inventing swear words, I defeated the evil brake shoes and got back to pootling around.
Went for an MOT test today and they say the handbrake is inefficient on one side and just not working on the other. How do I adjust the handbrake without losing my mind again?
Please help, this is my only roadworthy car and I'm also now responsible for ferrying my retired parents around. I need this car on the road.
Thanks,
Sith

You might need to remove the drums in order to adjust the cable tbh mate.

I'm not too familiar with drum brakes though as it's been years since I've owned a car with them fitted but I'll be sorting mine this summer too.

So...here's an interesting update.
Turns out the reason my handbrake isnt working on the drivers side is because the automatic brake adjuster is broken. Not just seized, but also missing a bit.
Checked my photos from doing the shoes last time and it was fine then. My only guess is the MOT test was 'exceptionally thorough'. Won't be going back there again.
Anyhow, anybody got suggestions on getting a new brake shoe adjuster? So far my options are
a) Nissan; and
b) scrap yard.
Dealership prices are a bit out of budget, and scrap parts are unknown quantities.
Any ideas?
Thanks again,
Sith

Here in the Land of the Finns, also known as Finland!
We have automotive parts stores, most like you can find similar places where ever you live.
They should be able to help you with your parts needs?!

-Mika-

Send by 8 years old IBM ThinkPad...:LOL:

When i checked them, Motor Factors here either don't do it or charge more than the dealership, so I was asking on the off-chance anybody else had encountered this problem and found a cheap solution :)
Anyway, found a k12 in a scrap yard and managed to get a complete of shoes, springs, adjusters, drums and caps for £20.
The shoes and drums look like they've only done a couple of hundred miles, too.
Result!
Sailed through the MOT, high fives and Mars bars all round ;)

Back