Handbrake light on corners...

J

Jim

I know this has been asked a couple of times before, but I couldn't find the answer when doing a search...

Today I noticed that sometimes when I go round say an island the handbrake light comes on for a second or two and then goes off when I've left said island.

I'm sure I remember reading that it's because the brake pads need changing. Is this right? Is there anything else it could be that I should check or should I just head straight for the brakes? Also, I'm guessing that as it's the handbrake light it's directing me to the rear brakes?

lol ....This plagued me for few weeks towards the end of last year..
My symptoms were the same but worsening with time (days to weeks)

Mine is a 1 litre K10 Super ('92) and on this car the only two inputs that cause the 'handbrake light to come on are:

1. the hand brake switch
2. the brake fluid level

Other car variations may have brake pad inputs as well but mine doesn’t!

Check your brake fluid level is between the marks
In my case, I had a slow break-fluid leak...so round corners the fluid sloshed one way (enough to flicker the float switch) in the master cylinder reservoir....this got gradually worse as days went by. Repaired the leak and topped the half empty reservoir up and all is now fine.

Saying that however...on a separate occasion, I have also had a problem with oxide building up on the contact point on the hand break switch. Careful cleaning fixed this. Be careful if you chose to completely dismantle the switch as the flexible metal contact strip can be easily deformed rendering the switch knackered....it is VERY fiddly to put it right again

let us know how you get on mate

Thanks a lot..

Just checked the brake fluid level and it's about 1cm from the max line, so I guess that could do with some topping up...

Where do I locate the handbrake switch?

Any sudden loss of brake fluid should make you check the rest of the system as it is an indicator of problems elsewhere.

I haven't checked the brake fluid level for ages so I can't say if it is a "sudden loss".

Surely over time the level will drop anyway?

OK, get ready for an epic…..may be this would be better in the DIY GUIDE section with some photos??

Safety: Make sure that car can’t roll when the hand break is released.

On my car there are two screw covers to prise off on the hand break cowl ..The first is in the cowl-dish this uncovers two LARGE posi/phillips? self-tapping screws. The second is at the front of the cowl and uncovers one LARGE screw. When the screws are out you can remove the cowl (you may need to release the hand brake to achieve this....don’t roll down the hill!!).

The next bit is fiddly...ideally you need a 'stubby' (SHORT) small phillips/posi.
The switch (if I can recall) is screwed to the drivers' side mounting plate.

Before re-moving the switch, check that the switch is not just loose or that it may just need adjusting. If this is the case…slacken the screw that holds the switch to the mounting plate by a small amount so that the position of the switch can be rotated by a few degrees. The position of the switch should be set such that the switch contacts are closed when the hand break is fully released and such that the switch contacts open just before the first click of the ratchet. When the switch is in the right position,...hold it there while tightening the screw and re-check its operation after tightening.

If you’re suspicious of the switch or just plain curious, you can remove the screw completely. When the screw is almost out, catch it and carefully move the switch away from the plate. The switch will be tethered by a short single wire. This is the positive I think...as the ground/earth/chassis connection is made by a small tab on the flexible metal strip in the switch that presses up against the mounting plate when the switch is fixed on to the mounting plate firmly.

Turn the switch upside-down and inspect the area of the flexible metal plate that comes into contact with the pointed contact that is connected to the signal wire.
The flexible metal piece should be pushing against the pointed contact (normally closed). If this is not the case, you may have to ‘persuade’ the flexible metal strip to do so (you may need a lot of patience for this and you could trash the switch trying if things don’t go well). If the switch is closed then there may be a lot of oxidation on the contacts causing the switch not to close fully (in the electrical sense). In desperation scraped my contacts clean with a surgeon’s scalpel. Although the preferred safe method is to buy a can of switch cleaner (aerosol with a stiff brush attachment).

Refit the switch and set its adjustment as described above. Then refit the cowl, with the LARGE screws and fit the screw covers (push-fit).

MAKE SURE THE HANDBREAK IS APPLIED WHEN YOURE DONE.

Hope this is usefull

Heh, thanks very much for that!

Will check it all over tomorrow and report back.

If you can't tell if it's a sudden loss, you should probably be checking the brake fluid more frequently. It does get lower as the pads wear, and there are small leaks, but 1cm is a fair drop.

Definitly check pads, this caused my warning light to come on round roundabouts too :)

Back