Handbrake warning light

hey guys,

bought me a N reg micra yesterday and I love it. I noticed this morning that in addition to the (P) light that comes on when I apply the handbrake, the (!) warning light comes on too. It switches off again as soon as I release the handbrake. I checked the brake fluid level yesterday and everything was a-ok. Should I be concerned?

cheers, Tom

i take it thats its an automatic yeah, the "P" will mean that gear wise it is in park and the "!" is just telling you your handbrake is on.

cheers Nick

if its a manual (id guess its a early N reg?) then its nothing extra to be bothered about as the earlier micras had both lights, that worked in the way youve described..id only be concered if the (!) stayed on all the time.

if its a manual (id guess its a early N reg?) then its nothing extra to be bothered about as the earlier micras had both lights, that worked in the way youve described..id only be concered if the (!) stayed on all the time.

yeah it's a manual. I checked the brake fluid this morning and everything is as it should be. So, I guess that means there's nothing to worry about. Thanks guys for the help!

yea checked the level even taken the cable off the switch and it still doesnt go off

Sounds like you have a wire shorting out somewhere, I think it works by grounding out when the handbrake is up.

I'd say take the bulb out but then you'll fail the MOT. How good are you at wiring, if it was me I'd get a new switch and re-wire straight back to the bulb.

Back