Gearbox removal for flywheel/clutch change

mintyfresh

Ex. Club Member
I'm just looking for some more information on this, main areas of difficulty or special tools needed to remove the gearbox. I've done driveshafts, exhausts, brakes, suspension before and just want to know if it's a much harder job or whether it's just mainly time consuming?
Any info/help is greatly appreciated :)

Its just time consuming mate, I did mine in 6hours. Follow the haynes manual and you'l be ok...
As for getting g/box back on by yourself. Make sure the clutch is aligned (prob best to use an aligning tool, but i just use a bit of 15mm copper pipe). Then sit on the top of the left hand wing with legs in the bay, and lift the g/box with your right arm using your leg to get it into position and then pop a bolt in with your left hand (i found the easiest one was just under where the dizzy was).
Otherwise frank has pictures of a different way using jacks and the bolt that holds the spare wheel in.

It doesnt take too long mate, youll need a torque wrench for the fly and clutch refit ranging from 20-90nm. Back mount is the hardest bit if youve not done it, just make sure you support the engine and gearbox off the ground

Wont be just me, will have the help of a couple of mates to lend a hand so should be alright, might just have to go for it and see what happens :) how do I go about aligning the clutch? cheers guys!

just to confuse matters, throw away your haynes manual, you dont need to remove the gearbox from the engine bay to change clutch and flywheel, you DONT need to remove the gear linkage, speedo cable, drive shafts or even the clutch cable, all you need to do is unbolt the bell housing :)

just to confuse matters, throw away your haynes manual, you dont need to remove the gearbox from the engine bay to change clutch and flywheel, you DONT need to remove the gear linkage, speedo cable, drive shafts or even the clutch cable, all you need to do is unbolt the bell housing :)

Hi, sorry to jump on the thread but this is relevant;
I'm just about to change the clutch on my g/f's 1994 Micra 1.0.

Everywehere else I've read that the driveshafts need removing, gearbox removed, engine mount loosened etc., no you say none of this is required?

Rather than spending £20.00 on a Haynes manual for this one job (probably changing it after MOT in August), is there anywhere online where I can see step by step how to change the clutch? (Please don't say "Google......" I'm not a Noob and know how to search the net - lol - just haven't found anything).

Also I don't have a torque wrench, nor do I know anyone I could borrow one from, is this a necessity or is there a way to do it by "feel"?

I have changed clutches in the past (although some years ago lol) so not completely new to this, and have a good mechanical knowledge / skills.

Any help appreciated,

Carlos.

Back